Belt Squeal - Help Needed!

Hey Everyone,

Well I finally got some free time to work on a few of the bugs that are left with my car. First on the list was the speedo...which I know I need a new gear for. Second was this annoying belt squeal I still have.

To recap, I have a March Performance Pulleys A/C Eliminator Kit because I have no PS, A/C, or smog pump and have been having squealing problems since I got this kit. I am using a Goodyear Gatorback belt, and a new tensioner but I am finding rubber all over the engine bay.

I pulled the bracket off to start over using the instructions supplied by March. Has anyone else used this kit before other than me? I've followed the instructions to a tee and now it is WAY off and squeals way more than before?!? I should have just left it the way it was!!

If anyone has used it, please let me know if you had to add spacers anywhere on top of what was supplied with the kit.

Thanks in advance!!

5.0L Miata

• Sponsors (?)

I was advised by several car professionals to stay away from March. Apparently they use a coating that comes off after some time and will do damage to bearings and electrical components. Sounds like you have a pulley(s) that is way off line or else an accessory that is seizing up. Do all the accesories spin by hand?

Inspect the belt very closely.
If you are seeing debris in the engine bay then you should be able to see where the belt is rubbing.

EDIT:
Can some more detail be provided on the MARCH coating use?
I don't see how the coating on a pulley/bracket could have a significant impact.
I thought there stuff was powder coated?

tunedin302 said:
I was advised by several car professionals to stay away from March. Apparently they use a coating that comes off after some time and will do damage to bearings and electrical components. Sounds like you have a pulley(s) that is way off line or else an accessory that is seizing up. Do all the accesories spin by hand?

I only have an alternator (new 2 weeks ago) and water pump...plus of course the crank. The water pump and alternator are very easy to turn by hand...so no problem there.

I have noticed that the coating is coming off on the spacers a bit already...so the kit may not be the best quality. Also the fact that the supplied spacers and instructions are not getting me the right belt alignment is cause for concern. Maybe I'll call them up directly and see what they say.

vristang said:
Inspect the belt very closely.
If you are seeing debris in the engine bay then you should be able to see where the belt is rubbing.

EDIT:
Can some more detail be provided on the MARCH coating use?
I don't see how the coating on a pulley/bracket could have a significant impact.
I thought there stuff was powder coated?

I will look more closely at the belt and the alignment problems. I only have a crank, alt, and water pump pulley in addition to the March bracket with the tensioner. I have to think that the March bracket is my issue considering everything else is OE.

Update:

Ok, worked the steel straight edge method and the tensioner is now in line with the alternator and crank. At start up I am getting even worse squealing for longer though...after about 20 or 30 seconds the squealing goes away and the car sounds good. If I stab the throttle quickly I get a bit of squeal as well??

One thing I did notice is that I am able to push the tensioner down with the palm of my hand and moderate force. I am a hugely strong person (not) but this seemed a little too easy to me. What kind of tension should the tensioner have? Any way to test it? Not sure what else to do?!

I have no idea about the kit or components being used but the tension thing seems a little weak. This is for a serp belt set-up, right (I just had to ask, because the issues in the post-above are classic V-belt)?

The start-up and acceleration-of-the-accessory squealing could be related to what Tunedin is saying with coatings, glazing and the like. I would do some prep work on the pulleys were it not for the coating thing.

Good luck.

I had the same problem when I tried this set up. Sorry I couldn't get it to work. Ended up killing my battery. What I observed is when you rev the motor the crank pulley pulls the belt down along with the tensioner and shoots the belt up over the alt. pulley causing the squealing. I tried a new tensioner and it still didn't work. I even tried an idler pulley below the alt. on a custom bracket and still got squealing. You could try an idler pulley where the tensioner is and use the tension rod on the alt. to tighten the belt. I've gone through 5 setups before I found/fabricated what I like. PM or email me if you need more help. Maybe I could send you some pics.

sn9550 said:
I had the same problem when I tried this set up. Sorry I couldn't get it to work. Ended up killing my battery. What I observed is when you rev the motor the crank pulley pulls the belt down along with the tensioner and shoots the belt up over the alt. pulley causing the squealing. I tried a new tensioner and it still didn't work. I even tried an idler pulley below the alt. on a custom bracket and still got squealing. You could try an idler pulley where the tensioner is and use the tension rod on the alt. to tighten the belt. I've gone through 5 setups before I found/fabricated what I like. PM or email me if you need more help. Maybe I could send you some pics.

I would love some pictures and more details on the setup that finally worked for you. I'll PM you...

Thanks!

Ok here is the update on where I am today. I spent a few hours yesterday trying to get this squeal fixed. First I went and bought a new tensioner ($104 at Partsource), went home, installed it, fired up the car, and no change...lots of squealing. Frustrated I check my alignment again and made a small adjustment but no luck.

I then decided I'd go back and get a new belt for good measure. Installed this and sure enough it cured my problem...for a while. The belt started slipping again and the squeal returned. I then moved the tensioner into the 2nd position (so that more tension would be on the belt) and sure enough this cured the squeal all together. Then I tried the old tensioner in this postion figuring I could save myself the $100...but the squeal returned.

So in the end to fix this I:

1) Bought new tensioner
2) Moved the tensioner postion to add more tension on the belt
3) Bought new belt

Hopefully this is the end of this saga. Thanks again for all of the help. :nice:

5.0L Miata