• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Belt tensioner rubbing?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rejekt
  • Start date Start date Nov 18, 2010

Rejekt

Member
Aug 12, 2010
546
13
18
Raleigh, NC
Nov 18, 2010
#1
  • Nov 18, 2010
  • #1
Hey, question for you guys. I have an 02 GT and my belt tensioner seems to be rubbing on my timing cover. You can see where it's rubbing and it makes a noise. Anybody else have this problem? Is the tensioner just going and I need to replace??

I searched and didn't find anything on this. If there is a thread on it, sorry. Thanks guys.
 

BLOWN347STROKER

Member
Jan 13, 2009
237
0
16
topeka kansas
Nov 18, 2010
#2
  • Nov 18, 2010
  • #2
One of my friends had this happen to his 5.4 truck. While I know that it is not a mustang the belt tensioners are set up in the same fashion. I was watching the motor while he started up the truck and it was apparent what the problem was. He described it to me as a screeching under the hood and he thought it was his water pump. It almost ate a hole through his timing cover. I would say that the tensioner is bad and you will probably have to replace it.
 

N8Dogg98

15 Year Member
Apr 4, 2005
3,872
238
184
MN
Nov 18, 2010
#3
  • Nov 18, 2010
  • #3
Oh boy, that was a common problem a few years ago. Ford used chitty aluminum tensioner's from the factory that would bend over time. Replace the tensioner and you'll be all good.
 

Rejekt

Member
Aug 12, 2010
546
13
18
Raleigh, NC
Nov 18, 2010
#4
  • Nov 18, 2010
  • #4
Thanks guys. I appreciate you! I shall replace asap.
 

N8Dogg98

15 Year Member
Apr 4, 2005
3,872
238
184
MN
Nov 18, 2010
#5
  • Nov 18, 2010
  • #5
While you're in there replace your serpentine belt with a goodyear gatorback... they are real nice and are fairly reasonable at O'Reilly's
 

Rejekt

Member
Aug 12, 2010
546
13
18
Raleigh, NC
Nov 18, 2010
#6
  • Nov 18, 2010
  • #6
Yep, I have a gatorback on my '94. I was inspecting my belt when I noticed the fresh rub spots lol I'm going to replace them both since I need to anyways.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Engine Belt routing with supercharger and smog/ac/ps delete
  • Steve6482
  • Jul 15, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
97
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 15, 2026
Steve6482
S
B
Tensioner arm bolt
  • brandon4v
  • Jan 14, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
337
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Feb 2, 2026
squeak93
8
Engine Belt tensioner adjustment
  • 89crimsongt
  • Jun 6, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
513
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 8, 2025
nicholase
G
Fox Tire Size for 16" Pony Wheels on 1984 LX Convertible
  • gw7
  • Jun 24, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
181
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 25, 2026
Qtrhrse23
Belt Tensioner Question...
  • robw13
  • Mar 10, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
286
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 10, 2025
gkomo
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?