Benefits to tuning a stock GT?

• Sponsors (?)

learning curve

I don't think you should purchase that exact item, just because of it's learning curve, but I do think your car would benifit from a tuner (Xcal, Predator, Livewire..whatever) and a custom tune.

GTs are tuned for 87 octane. If you didn't mind paying for premium a 91 or 93 octane tune would get you some good gains. That's a fair amount of timing, plus with your CAI and exhaust I'm sure your AF is not ideal currently.

The speedcal part is incorrect.. I have a 98 GT and i just did my rear end gears and the the tuners only fix the speedo problem for 99's and up. You will still need to by a speedcal after you install rearend gears.

The speedcal part is incorrect.. I have a 98 GT and i just did my rear end gears and the the tuners only fix the speedo problem for 99's and up. You will still need to by a speedcal after you install rearend gears.

Actually, for the 96-98's i believe its not the speedcal either, its an actual speedo tooth gea,r little white plastic thing that you change out.

I just got done tuning a guys 96 Gt and he couldnt believe the difference it made so since I had not driven the car I flashed it back to stock and drove it myself and then flashed it back with the 93 octane tune I put on it and then drove it again , the engine woke up thru the entire powerband , throttle was twice as crisp and before when you got to 5000 rpms it was like you were pulling the ebrake up , now it pulls strong to about 5600-5700 rpms without falling off and even when it did fall off it was nothing as harsh as before , so I opened up the tunes last night just to see what it changed , this is what I found

stock tune had commanded air/fuel going in the 11s at 5000 rpms , and the timing was pulling 2 degrees out at 5000 as well , the performance tune added about 4 degrees of timing up top and 2 degrees in the lower rpms and set the commanded air/fuel in the 12.9 range all the way to 6000 rpms , I just figured I would let you guys know a little insight on the actual numbers since most tuners like to keep guys in the dark , so IMO tuning even a bone stock 96-98 Gt would be well worth the money spent especially if your car feels like it noses over bad at 5000 rpms , I dont know if all the calibration codes on these cars are set up this way but this one sure got a kick in the butt from tuning it , I am going to put up a video this weekend , the guy that owns the car is going to film it at the track running the stock tune and then with the performance tune .

i just got a tune for my 98gt and boy did it wake it up...it is like night and day...it feels like it just wants to pull and pull...very happy with the tune i got...:nice: :nice: