Benifits of an Oil cooler?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know if you push your car enough to see a benefit from a cooler but the advantage of the oil filter relocation kit is that you don't make a huge mess when you change the filter, dumping used oil down your arm and all over the steering rack.

Those items will just slow and restrict the flow of oil, especially the relocation kit.

I do not recommend adding that stuff unless you really know what you are doing.

Those items will just slow and restrict the flow of oil, especially the relocation kit.

I do not recommend adding that stuff unless you really know what you are doing.

I just wanted to know the benefits. Its a simple bolt on. The oil thins out when heated thus the protection lessens, I've seen the install, the hoses look pretty unrestricted and they can handle the pressure since the hoses are steel braided, never mind, I'll just google, use manuals and do my own research, like I've should've before asking for opinions, think you very much. All is well in Stang Hell.:nice::D

I would agree it is not worth installing. While cooler oil might be benefitial for extended oil life, you still need to at least get the oil up to operating temperature. Does this oil cooler kit include a thermostate/bypass to ensure the oil at least gets to operating temperature? It is important to get oil to temperature to evaporate any water away and properly lubricate the bearings.
As for when you would need an oil cool? Well, if you are using oil to help cool the cylinders in a very high power application (for example, you are using oil squirters on the rods and make 800+hp), then it might be a good idea. Another good situation would be road racing, where the engine is continually under high loads and is at the limits of cooling, but you'd never see such an operating condition on the street or strip.

It gets extremely hot here where I live during the summer, I do notice a difference in horsepower when the oil is at an even temp. vs. extemely hot. The coolant cools a lot quicker than the oil does, thus the oil stays hot a lot longer and dosn't even get a chance to cool down, I agree, It takes a lot longer for the oil to get at operating temp, nothing forethought start and idle will not cure. I like to keep the Stang in 4000-5000 RPMs range when accelarating in traffic. I wonder if Synthetic oil is a slightly thinner vs regular oil, if so than it shouldn't take long for the oil get to Op. temps, also it heats to hotter temps quicker also. Idk, I have to look this one up.http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/oilcool1.htm, Found it, thanks.

Well, I finally got around to the install.
I bought a remote dual oil filter and a oil filter adapter for the oil cooler. I pulled an oil cooler off of a Ford Ranger, $10 bucks at U-Pull Auto. I put in 0W-30 Mobil one oil, required 2 extra quarts for the cooler and both oil filters.
I noticed the engine stayed cooler at 180 degrees (b/c of after-market thermostat) longer and takes shorter times to cool off even w/the cooler mounted in front of the driver-side radiator area. I bought a fan and oil temp switch, but had no luck in find some extra space in putting the fan in so now its air cooled.
I noticed a leak below the oil filter and replaced the gasket between the stock oil filter adapter and the engine block (just now noticed the engine had a gasket there).
One of the better mods I've done to the engine. Teflon pipe tape is my friend. Oil finds the weirdest places to leak. I've just doubled my oil life.
Thanks for reading.
P.s. I've still have not figured how to post pics or else I would show you my progress.:nice: