Best 15 Inch Tire

tx65coupe

Nov 29, 1999
I have 215 60 15 BFG Radial TA tires on my 65. They are ok tires, but I really want something better. I'm not really into the white lettering anymore anyway.

I was looking at the Michelin Pilot Exalto with is a directional tire and is H speed rated rather than T speed rated as well. It is only available in 215 65 15. I don't know if there will be fitment issues with that size on my 15x7 Magnum 500s with 4.25 backspacing. This tire is on back order.

I was also looking at the BFG Traction TA, but it is still only T speed rated and it seems to be either discontinued or on back order.

I was also looking at the BFG Advantage TA which is H speed rated and is currently available.

I'm not going to run staggered tires. I want all 4 the same size. These are the sizes I'm looking at. Will the 225s fit? My car has 1 inch lowering springs on the front.

215 60 15
215 65 15
225 60 15

I'm wanting all season tires, not summer tires.

What are you guys running for tires?

• Sponsors (?)

I had BFG Traction TA's on my 04 Monte Carlo and within a year they all went out of round. I had to replace them because they would not balance. I got Michelins. I would not recommend the Traction Ta's.

I have heard the BFG Radials do not have this issue.

sparx

Thats good to know. I have never had a BFG Radial TA do that.

Which Michelins did you get?

Upon looking at my car a little more, I don't think that 225 60 15 will fit.

I'm looking at the Yokohama YK520 now in 215 60 15.

I believe they were Primacy michelins, sold the car recently so I cannot check.

I am looking for 215 60 15 also and was trying to avoid BFG's this time around, but have not come to an alternative either.

This is for my 66 coupe.
sparx

I thought this thread would have more interest.

I decided to go with the 215 60 15 Yokohama YK520 from Discount Tire. They didn't have them in stock, but said they will have them in a day or two. They are cheaper from discount tire direct, so I got them to price match in store.

I feel they are a safe bet, since I read on some forums that quite a few people with older Porsche, BMW, Audi etc seem to like them.

I don't like to take it out if its raining, and if I know its going to I won't. I have been caught in the rain several times and had to drive on the freeway for 30 miles in it to get home though. I also upgraded to 2 speed wipers while rewiring the car, just for this reason as well.

I like that they are a better speed rating than most of the other 215 60 15 tires. They are a more performance oriented tire than most of the other tires in this size.

Sorry, late to the party, I've got Yoko YK520's on my '67, drove them for 1.5yrs. before teardown. They seemed to fair well, no sliding or traction loss noted on a stock engine at the time. I too liked the wear rating and abilty to drive in most any weather, yes I drive my car in most any weather, not snow if I can avoid it. I have 225/60/15 and had to roll my wheel wells but that is based on rim bs than tire choice.
I think you'll be pleased with them, let us know how they do.
Jon

I don't like to take it out if its raining, and if I know its going to I won't. I have been caught in the rain several times and had to drive on the freeway for 30 miles in it to get home though. I also upgraded to 2 speed wipers while rewiring the car, just for this reason as well.

I like that they are a better speed rating than most of the other 215 60 15 tires. They are a more performance oriented tire than most of the other tires in this size.

These BF Goodrich have lots of grip. If you are caught in a rain shower, you will still get home. They look nice on the car and they fit real nice. Just my .02$ cents. Good luck on your choice.

Sorry, late to the party, I've got Yoko YK520's on my '67, drove them for 1.5yrs. before teardown. They seemed to fair well, no sliding or traction loss noted on a stock engine at the time. I too liked the wear rating and abilty to drive in most any weather, yes I drive my car in most any weather, not snow if I can avoid it. I have 225/60/15 and had to roll my wheel wells but that is based on rim bs than tire choice.
I think you'll be pleased with them, let us know how they do.
Jon

I'm glad to hear that you were happy with them. I'll post back after I drive the car a few times.

I just out out 225's on the front of my 65 with the same magnum 500's you have. they fit.

now the 245's I'm putting on the rear are a much tighter squeeze LOL

I had 235 60 15 in the rear before, and don't see anything bigger fitting well at all. Have you tried to fit them yet?