Best Aluminum Dual Core Radiator For under $225

So I Traded my four wheeler for a 88 5.0 Hatchback Lx. I've been collecting parts to put on but have encountered a overheating issue. It's a Carbed 349 small block with no power steering, no ac, and a ghetto electric water pump. My girlfriend said she wants to get me a new radiator for christmas but she said her limit is $225. Whats the best radiator for that price or lower? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

Have her buy you a fox accessory setup first with a new water pump (one that takes a belt). Parts should be dirt cheap.

No sense throwing money at a radiator if you don't know that's the issue.

I'm guessing the ghetto electric water pump is the one that gets a belt that goes around the water pump pulley.

If the water pump is ghetto, probably so is the power steering delete, so put power steering back on the car if that's the case.

Reactions: 1 users
Have her buy you a fox accessory setup first with a new water pump (one that takes a belt). Parts should be dirt cheap.

No sense throwing money at a radiator if you don't know that's the issue.

I'm guessing the ghetto electric water pump is the one that gets a belt that goes around the water pump pulley.

If the water pump is ghetto, probably so is the power steering delete, so put power steering back on the car if that's the case.
I've already ordered my new electric water pump (and the old one was a belt driven one lol) and I'm buying my flaming rivers manual rack at the begining of the year. So I should have the cooling issue resolved but i just want to find a good radiator and not pay an arm and a leg for it. And the person who took the power steering just cut the lines so not as easy as it could be lol

I've already ordered my new electric water pump (and the old one was a belt driven one lol) and I'm buying my flaming rivers manual rack at the begining of the year. So I should have the cooling issue resolved but i just want to find a good radiator and not pay an arm and a leg for it. And the person who took the power steering just cut the lines so not as easy as it could be lol

If this is not a drag only car, don't waste your money on all that crap.
Sounds like a car with quite a few issues.
To properly convert to an electric water pump, you need a proper electric fan (when i say proper, i mean powerful and connected the right way), to run and electric fan and water pump you then need a 3g alternator.
By the time you are done, you are going to spend over grand, and you will literally have nothing to show for it.

Put all stock parts back on, this way you can have power steering, a fan clutch and a well running car. Shop around for used parts, and i bet you could fix all issues for less than $200 total.
Then you can spend the money you save on go fast parts.

If you think you are getting a ton of power from not using the PS, fan clutch or water pump, think again, by removing the belt completely you don't even get much power. Certainly not enough to justify the cost.

If this is not a drag only car, don't waste your money on all that crap.
Sounds like a car with quite a few issues.
To properly convert to an electric water pump, you need a proper electric fan (when i say proper, i mean powerful and connected the right way), to run and electric fan and water pump you then need a 3g alternator.
By the time you are done, you are going to spend over grand, and you will literally have nothing to show for it.

Put all stock parts back on, this way you can have power steering, a fan clutch and a well running car. Shop around for used parts, and i bet you could fix all issues for less than $200 total.
Then you can spend the money you save on go fast parts.

If you think you are getting a ton of power from not using the PS, fan clutch or water pump, think again, by removing the belt completely you don't even get much power. Certainly not enough to justify the cost.
Well I've put over 2 thousand miles on it in 2 months with no major issues. It has a gm one wire on it and it will be mostly a drag car so I am going to keep the accessories off of the belt.I appreciate the input but my question was the best radiator for under 225 not what u would do to my car to make it what u want. My car is a work in progress (not everyone can afford to put an 03 cobra motor in their fox body) so it'll take a year or so before it's the way i want it.

Well I've put over 2 thousand miles on it in 2 months with no major issues. It has a gm one wire on it and it will be mostly a drag car so I am going to keep the accessories off of the belt.I appreciate the input but my question was the best radiator for under 225 not what u would do to my car to make it what u want. My car is a work in progress (not everyone can afford to put an 03 cobra motor in their fox body) so it'll take a year or so before it's the way i want it.

You don't like my idea's for making a normal car? That's cool, you are right it's not my car. Just giving you advice as someone that has had many different parts and setups. Was also trying to help you realize you don't need to go without basics to have a quick car.
But don't kid yourself a car that is "mostly" a drag car takes quite a while acquire 2000 miles.
I never suggested you put an 03 cobra engine in the car, in fact i suggested you spend less money not more, so i'm not so sure why the completely irrelevant comment. Simply stating it would be "mostly" a drag car would have led me to keep the rest of my opinion to myself.

Best radiator for the money.

Griffin - $185
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-1-26242-x
Thank you I've been looking at that one. It's not a direct fit which is the only thing that scares me. Is there any modifications that need to be done in order for this one to fit correctly?
Assuming you were talking about the 27" Griffin radiator listed above, though it is not actually listed as a "direct fit", I have already done all my homework on the radiator dimensions for fox body mustangs, and this radiator will drop right in no problems.

However a lot of people like to run the slightly larger 31" radiator, but it will require some slight modifications to get it to fit correctly...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-1-26272-x/overview/

Assuming you were talking about the 27" Griffin radiator listed above, though it is not actually listed as a "direct fit", I have already done all my homework on the radiator dimensions for fox body mustangs, and this radiator will drop right in no problems.

However a lot of people like to run the slightly larger 31" radiator, but it will require some slight modifications to get it to fit correctly...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-1-26272-x/overview/
I appreciate all the help exile and i'll let u know what i get

Reactions: 1 user
i got my 3 row aluminum from ebay ..... it took a couple pages but im happy with it and honestly take the electric water pump off and invest on a good radiator stock water pump or hi flow which is 120 and get ur self a good electric fan instead just saying.....

:nono:

Reactions: 1 user