Best antifreeze for cooling properties

MrPerfect2

Jul 23, 2019
Washington DC
I will be doing my radiator change now that spring is here - I had prestone green 50/50 in it - I will flush out the system good with hose water then run some distilled water to finish flush . What type and ratio of antifreeze have you guys tried . I live in an area that gets below freezing in winter btw . I considered using the water wetter products but heard some stories of how they don’t mix well with antifreeze . Thanks

70/30 water to antifreeze usually tends to cook better than 50/50, but if you’re having issues then that will most likely not solve your issues.

If you are not having cooling issues and this is just maintenance, well lets see what a gallon jug of Peak Antifreeze advises: (tested with 15lb cap at sea level)
50/50 mix good between -34* to 265*
60/40 -62* to 270*
70/30. -84* to 276*

I put a new OEM radiator in - it seemed to stabilize the temp swings - got 70/30 water/anti mix in now . Drove hard about 20 miles and temps ranged 175-185 ( must have a 180 thermostat in ) ambient is only 70 though - will see how temp in summer is

Reactions: 1 users
Car drives a lot cooler now - 1 hr straight at 65 mph @1800 rpm and needle between 178-182 degrees - I also read that 192 thermostat best for the car because of ECU and oil vapor burn off - should I switch to 192 or just say F it and be glad it’s running good ?

Thanks General , the car has been a blast to drive ! Top down in summer with tunes pumping - only thing better would be having a hot busty blond in passenger seat while I cruise!
I did just that down the right coast years ago.
All she did was complain about the heat in the daytime, cold at night and the wind messing up her hair.

Reactions: 1 user
Update on my radiator change - put about 500 miles since I changed the radiator ( I used a new OEM single core btw - $90 shipped ) put 60% distilled water and 40% green Prestone in . Car has been running perfect ! Stays between 178 - 185 ( used to creep up to 220 in spring weather ) - ambient temps out just starting to get into 80s - job took 2-3 hours and was exact fit -

Reactions: 2 users
When the time comes for me to replace something in the cooling system, I plan to put a filter on it. After seeing some of the crap the classic car guys end up capturing, I'm a believer.

Well I have never seen a need for a filter in the cooling system. Best example I can give is 'the dump truck':
600,000 miles
3 water pumps, changed thermostat same time, 1 upper hose ( improper install, no, I did not do it!) radiator changed once, oil cooler replaced once. That's it!
But that is my experience.

Filter sounds interesting , but it would have to be like a pool filter and big enough not to clog fast and easy to clean - otherwise circulation would slow when dirty ?

No, it doesn't. Not unless it has a full-sized bypass if the filter should get clogged.

It sounds like it might be a good thing for a race car where it is checked after each and every run but I wouldn't put it on my street car unless I planned to do the same.

Exactly, filter in a bad idea, not only that Jags over all do not have a great rep.

Op make sure car has a shroud, important item. Actually some test have proven straight water best for cooling. Antifreez raise the boiling point. But does not translate into better cooling, temperature wise.