Best car chase movie?

• Sponsors (?)

Bullitt.

I am a huge Bullitt fan, I have a lot of movie memoribillia, movie posters, 3 or 4 different sizes of the models, etc.
I just can't afford the car, I would live to have a 01 Bullitt, DHG of course.

Bullet, 2 Lane Blacktop, Vanishing Point are all tops on everyones list including mine..But, there was a movie back in the 70's,when I was a kid that just scared the poo out of me...It had some great chase scenes.. It was " The Car"...

Kelly

bullet is deff one. vanishing point is probably the longest car chase but not really that exciting. i think the new gone in 60 seconds chase is better then vanishing point, more action i think. dragnet is that how you spell it?? idk if that was a movie but didnt that have some car chases?? idk im too young to remember, no offense to you older guys lol. my uncles use to watch it

:nonono: charger>mustang or camaro

Meh. The Charger is a cool car, but it looked so sloppy in that chase scene. To me its just kind of a big car with a soft suspension and a really big engine. The Mustang however, makes that chase scene -and obviously- the movie. I think the Charger could have been anything else so long as it was black, and the movie would have been just as famous.

I haven't seen this Cheryl Crow thing... I'll have to look into that.

P.S. For any of you guys that get into euro cars, the FIRST Transporter had some very bad ass chase scenes. The second one had some very unbelievable action in it that ruined it for me and I have yet to see the third.

OH, and while I'm thinking of it, the new Dukes of Hazzard Movie and Starsky and Hutch movie both have some good car action in them. The driving by Rhys Millen in the Dukes was phenomenal stuff, and I always loved Starsky's Striped Tomato. Those movies also benefit from better picture, sound, and camera angles over the old movies like Vanishing Point, etc. Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Mad Max".

The 7-ups is definitely # 2 on the list behind Bullit! Here is a link to the scene on youtube. It is Just as long, if not longer than Bullit and there are some good high speed scenes through town. Also, the driver of the car being chased is the same driver that drove the Charger in Bullit. Here is the link YouTube - The Seven-Ups Car Chase (1973)

Also, an intersting side note about the movie. They had originally planned to do the crash scene on the main part of the highway (Taconic Parkway for you New York State people) but the day of shooting New York State said they could not do it on the highway, they had to do it on an exit ramp. So, all of the calculations for speed and timing were now off. the stunt driver came in MUCH faster than had originally been planned. The actor in the movie said he watch how the stunt man got out of the car and he just acted exactly the same way in the movie.

Also, other movies on my list would be Vanishing point (pretty much the whole movie is a chase scene) Ronin and The Gumball Rally ( YouTube - Gumball Rally - Los Angeles: Cobra vs Dino ) has a bunch of good high sped scenes with some VERY nice cars.

Bullitt is the king- I read an old Hot Rod about movie car builders, they had to detune the Charger- skinny tires, no sway bars- cuz it kept running off from the Mustang on straightaways. Vanishing Point made me cringe- I dislike when they just tear the car up:nonono:. The shoulda used a Biscayne or some tank like that to destroy. The Falcon XB in Road Warrior was cool, and I especially like when they use trucks in chases, like that Mack tanker. The crane/firetruck in Terminator 3:nice: But there was a movie, mid 80's, with John Stockwell, called "My Science Project" that had an absolutely wicked blown 68 GTO.