best exhaust for the $

jlangholzj

Mustang Master
Oct 23, 2006
CLT
guys, i want your opinon on this one. what would be the best exhaust system on a 67-68 mustang with a 289 and hooker competition headers. i was originally going to use glasspacks but they have ben likened to as do what you want to a beat up 4x4. what brand of exhaust will give me a good sound on a decent price?

• Sponsors (?)

The Magnaflow system is a a work of art and the sound is actually fairly quiet until you get into the throttle and then its just perfect...But thats my opinion.
I was told and do believe from my days motocrossing that a different type of metal (stainless) does sound different that normal muffler shop tubing.

The only thing you need to be aware of is that it does sit kinda low...
View attachment 410288

I have a '67 with a 289 and hooker comps. I am running an H-pipe and Hooker Aerochamber muffs with dumps.

The system is pretty quiet at idle, but roars when you lay into it. I was getting a little in-cabin resonance when I first installed the system, but it seems to have gone away (or I just got used to it). The resonance has got to be becuase of the dumps, I'm sure running tail pipes out the back would solve the problem. Another bonus of the Aerochambers is the price, $60 a pop from Summit... They are also suppossed to flow amazingly...

The magnaflow stainless X-pipe catback system is no doubt the best system out there for the money (under $350 with current special). It's all mandrel bent and tucks up nicely, plenty of clearance. No part of the system hangs down any lower than my front frame rails (I'm running FPA longtube headers). Your choice of headers will determine your clearance.

magnaflow

I just bought the magnaflow system from Performance Peddler. Use the code ebayrocks to get it for $349.28 (free shipping). I also bought a pair of rolled edge magnaflow tailpipes that should fit nicely through the trumpet holes in my rear valence. For complete disclosure, I'm waiting for the stuff to be delivered this week so I haven't heard it yet.

jc6715, that exactly what i want, something decent at idle, but somethin that would also let em know im commin.

also can you guys list the specifics of the sys, so i can compare prices. preferably list everything xcept the headers.

Have you checked prices for a local shop to bend one for you? They almost always have a superior fit to "store bought" systems.

That's what I did, took the car with headers installed (that was a fun LOAD ride to the shop) had them weld up and bend some pipe. I gave them the h-pipe parts and mufflers that I had already purchased. Took about two hours and cost $100.

All told I had $150 into the Hooker Comp headers, $120 into the Hooker mufflers, $30 for the H-pipe, $20 something for the header reducers, and the $100 for the muffler shop. Full exhaust headers back for $420 is pretty cheap and I am more than satisfied with the results. I went with 2.5 in tubing and mufflers because I am stroking the engine to 331 before too long.