Best Header Port Gasket?

OK, I just recently installed tri y headers and used the crap gaskets that came with them. well while driving i am already hearing some major ticking so im assuming the gaskets are leaking badly. could it also be i just need to re tighten them? whats the torque needed on these bolts? what is a good option? i want to know from your experience, not what you've heard. Would a good set of felpro's be a good choice? im also looking for ease of install, i.e. the kind that slip over the end bolts instead of through every bolt. thanks! :D
Oh yeah, its for a 289 in a 65, not that it makes a difference

• Sponsors (?)

I used Percy's header gaskets and Stage 8 locking bolts. IME, the slotted gaskets will not hold up long or well, it is worth the time and trouble to install something once and have it work than have to repeat the job again and again. The Percy gaskets can be reused again, the Stage 8 bolts will not loosen up ever.

If you get some threaded rod and cut two pieces for each end of the header to act as a hanger the job is a little easier. Remove the front and rear existing bolts, replace them with the threaded rod. Now remove all the other bolts, when they are all out remove one of the hanger studs, slide the old gasket up and out of the way. Reinstall the hanger stud and do the same with the other end of the header.

Now you can install the new gasket in the same manner as above. When you go to install the bolts be careful not to tighten any of them down until they are all started. Sometimes the header tube will restrict your ability to get the bolt in place, having the ability to pull the header a little away from the engine helps. I found I had to file the locking key on some of the header bolts, they are aluminum so it was pretty easy to do.

yeah, i can see what you are saying about the gaskets. i think the first step would be to re tighten the existing ones to see if that does anything. they are new! ive heard of the bolts backing out at first and just having to re tighten them. i would only want to do this job once though, thats why im looking for good experiences with gaskets!

You'd be suprised how well cheap paper gaskets work if they are soaked in water. I can't imagine what the bolts and gaskets above cost. I'm sure they work great if money is no object. Mr G from autozone works for me.

brianj5600 said:
You'd be suprised how well cheap paper gaskets work if they are soaked in water. I can't imagine what the bolts and gaskets above cost. I'm sure they work great if money is no object. Mr G from autozone works for me.

I was just about to suggest that. I just soak them in water for a couple of hours and put them on. You can feel it when you take it out the will form perfectly to the header and ports. I never had to retighten the bolts or have any leaks. Worked great. I was even missing a bolt on one of my headers and i still had no problems.

brianj5600 said:
Well, thats why the first step is to just try and re tighten bolts :D
I do have another set of paper ones that i could try the water thing before spending the big $$$ if tightening doesnt work