best low rpm 5.0 cam?

• Sponsors (?)

A stock cam is nice for torquey driveability.

Typically you need to look for a cam with higher lift (generally goes with torque), lower duration, less overlap (lsa). A higher angle overlap (112 compared to 108) provides a broader range of torque/horsepower over the desired rpm, but even broader. The 108* will peak torque quickly and max out, but it isn't too good for idle quality.

Too much duration for low-rpm needs allows the airflow additional time to enter or exit the cylinder. For about every 10* of duration increase the powerband moves up roughly 500 RPM, and it also goes in the opposite fashion.

A custom cam is the best way to go of course.

The first link in my signature has several common camshafts and there basic specifications.

A stock cam is nice for torquey driveability.

Typically you need to look for a cam with higher lift (generally goes with torque), lower duration, less overlap (lsa). A higher angle overlap (112 compared to 108) provides a broader range of torque/horsepower over the desired rpm, but even broader. The 108* will peak torque quickly and max out, but it isn't too good for idle quality.

Too much duration for low-rpm needs allows the airflow additional time to enter or exit the cylinder. For about every 10* of duration increase the powerband moves up roughly 500 RPM, and it also goes in the opposite fashion.

A custom cam is the best way to go of course.

The first link in my signature has several common camshafts and there basic specifications.

I see you posted the Comp Cam XE270HR-12

218*/224* - .544"/.544" - 112* - 1,800-5,800 RPM

I was also looking at that cam. What do you think about it?

It calls for 1.7 rocker arms, and I have 1.72

I see you posted the Comp Cam XE270HR-12

218*/224* - .544"/.544" - 112* - 1,800-5,800 RPM

I was also looking at that cam. What do you think about it?

It calls for 1.7 rocker arms, and I have 1.72

I would talk with DMAN302 on here. He has that cam, and he makes close to 320rwhp with it on a 302/306 with some Edelbrock heads/Intake IIRC.

The idle needs to be set in the 850-900 RPM range probably to idle good and vacuum is probably close to 15" from my readings.

It should be a good cam, but I do not run it personally...

oz and LSC NYC and Cougar5.0 all run it, some the 112 LSA and some the 114 LSA.

do they still make the XE270HR-12? I went to comp cams website and couldnt find it, did a google search and still couldnt come up with a place that sells one.