Best oil filter

• Sponsors (?)

fram filters do suck. that said there is a reason most walmarts only car fram and motorcraft. they are made by the same company. my boss always says that when i get my motorcraft filter, but they may be made by the same people but they are made differently. Motorcraft oil on the other hand...i dont think anyone knows who makes that stuff.

twogts4us said:
All good answers, but more than anything - the best filter is a NEW one. Change it on schedule and on time. Take care of your equipment and it'll take care of you. :nice:
Every oil change my car gets a new filter, and thats about every 3000 miles :nice:

Ill go with motorcraft from now on :nice:

True. IF you use motorcraft filters. Some of the ppl that use K&N filters at ten bucks a pop it would pay to get. 10/150=15. 15*5,000=75,000

Everyone has their own opinion on this topic. No matter what other people say, you're not going to change their minds :p

Yes but if you get the lifetime oil filter couldn't you switch it into a new mustang (assuming it is a similar model)?

fram filters do suck. that said there is a reason most walmarts only car fram and motorcraft. they are made by the same company. my boss always says that when i get my motorcraft filter, but they may be made by the same people but they are made differently. Motorcraft oil on the other hand...i dont think anyone knows who makes that stuff.

They are not made by the same company.

Motorcraft is made by Purolator, but to fords specs. The cartridge is actually a purolator pure one cartridge supposedly, and the change is that bypass valves could be on the top or bottom according to what ford specs out to purolator

I tend to stick mostly with motor craft/purolator. For my non ford vehicles I go with the pure one. My mustang doesn't get driven much so now illmstart using a mobil 1 if I only do one change per year (under 1000 miles a year i drive it).

Autozone always offers the deal on a 5 quart jug of oil and fram filter for 16.xx while the oil alone is 19.99. So to savema few bucks on the oil, I get the fram in addition to my purolator filter. I use the purolator, save 3 bucks on my oil and now have a pile of fram oil filters I basically got for free and don't want to use. I should ebay them :)

Early on with my car I tried a number of different filters but found that the FL820S (Motorcraft) produced the least amount of racket on cold-start which told me that the anti-drainback valve in the 820S is superior to the other filters I tried.

Since that "discovery", the '820S is all I'll ever use in mine.