Best Oil to help Oil Pressure

anotherstangfan

Mar 22, 2006
When I drive my car around for a while the oil pressure starts to drop to the bottom around the A of the word normal, the gauge is a stock gauge, I just have the white face guages. Right now Im using 10w30. Which would be better, 20w50 or just 30 weight oil to bring that oil pressure back up a little bit. Thanks everybody.

• Sponsors (?)

anotherstangfan said:
When I drive my car around for a while the oil pressure starts to drop to the bottom around the A of the word normal, the gauge is a stock gauge, I just have the white face guages. Right now Im using 10w30. Which would be better, 20w50 or just 30 weight oil to bring that oil pressure back up a little bit. Thanks everybody.

The stock gauges on mustangs are not accurate devices. I'd suggest getting an aftermarket gauge before making any conclusions.

Anyhow, you could run straight 40W oil without hurting anything. :nice:

Mine goes to about the top of the "A" on normal as well at idle...I'm not too worried about it though. I'm pretty sure thats quite normal for these cars, especially now that they have a few miles on them. I had 5w30 in there in the winter, and have yet to change it to my summer 10w30. Going by the stock gauge is tough since it doesnt give you any accurate pressures...

You know im having the same problem, but mine is much much lower. I think I will get a new sending unit and go from there, while im at it I will clean the extension pipe. I thought it might be partially clogged causing an inaccurate oil pressure reading.

yeah ive heard the same thing about the stock gauges, my car has 80,000 miles on it now and runs fine, but id rather throw some thicker oil in it if it will bring the oil pressure up, when i drive it the oil pressure goes up to the O of the normal but at idle i get scared when i see it dropping.

If you have tried 10W-40 and it was not enough, 20W-50 would work fine.

I'm not a fan of single weights in this day and age.

Good luck.

I am running 10W-40 dino oil in my 125,000 mile car at the moment and even with temps in the 90's it still holds 20-25 psi at hot idle on my autometer mechanical gauge. Now my factory gauge on the other hand reads about at the bottom when the autometer is reading 25 and it reads about 25 when the autometer is reading 50. Best advice is to get a real gauge.

I fought it for a long time. I didn't want extra gauges sticking out like a sore thumb in my car when I already had the same gauge on the stock cluster. After comparing a good set of mechanical gauges to the stockers though I would NEVER EVER rely on the factory gauges again.

Try a higher viscosity, why not?

Also, I have seen ~5psi difference on oil/filter changes.
I am not sure if the oil was degraded, or if the filter was bad.

The most noticeable difference was when switching from a K&N filter to Mobil filter. I was using the same viscosity oil and the pressure was a good 5psi higher.

Just food for thought, I would like to hear what others think.

jason

Jason, that's totally normal amongst the oil filter brands. Some filter better and thus see more pressure drop/delta. That's one slight knock with filters like Pure One. I dont know about you guys, but I'll take better filtration any day.