Best/safest way to clean engine?

I have a '95 GT vert with 68,000 miles on it and as far as I know it has never had the engine cleaned.
With old cars I have had in the past I would just cover the distributor and carb and spray the engine down good at the coin-op car wash.
With all the sensors and wiring in my Mustangs engine bay I'm afraid of shorting something out if I did it that way.
Is there anyone who could tell me what I would need to cover in order to clean my engine?
Any other cleaning tips/ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Glen

• Sponsors (?)

I've never had a problem w/ pressure washing the engine bay - just use common sense when you spray.

I usually hit it w/ the degreaser and let that sit a few minutes then spray it down (all while the engine is running).

Wes

I've never had a problem w/ pressure washing the engine bay - just use common sense when you spray.

I usually hit it w/ the degreaser and let that sit a few minutes then spray it down (all while the engine is running).

Wes

Is there a reason you do it with the engine running? I've done the aformentioned as well, but not with the engine running.

I've always heard you could mess up your alt if you don't cover it. So you guys use the pressure rinse?

Yeah, I use an electric pressure washer that I have. I use the extra wand that comes w/ it that allows for a weaker stream of water, and I dont pull back on the trigger much. I covered the dizzy and alternator, and never really sprayed directly on a particular point for more than a couple seconds. Works great.

What degreaser to you guys use before you spray your engine? Also, is there any type of dressing (similar to Armor-all) that you put on after cleaning to make the engine look better? I'm going to try it this weekend, so thanks for all your help. (sorry badstang 123, I posted this at the same time you posted)
Glen

On the daily I have used simple green, sprayed it on by "misting" it over the engine bay and around everything. Let it sit for a alittle bit and used the hose (with the nozzle giving a hard but not full blast mist. I then make sure all the simple green is washed off and not pooling on any platic hoses or like parts.

Just use common sense...dont go spraying and flooding elec. boxes, air filter, ect things...you know dont stick the nozzle down the t-body type stuff.

The mustang as of late...I have had it apart and gotten alot of things powdercoated and cleaning/painting the bay...guess its one way to clean it by taking it apart:D

Like most others I use Simple Green to remove road grime, it works great, is non toxic, and non corrosive. I don't use a car wash wand or pressure washer, just a plain old garden hose with trigger nozzle. I've never covered the Alternator but I don't spray directly on/at it. I do cover the battery and the distributor with a plastic bag. If you don't cover the distributor, water will pool inside around the PIP :notnice: It seems to get in around the bottom of the clips.