Best sounding and flowing exhaust system for 5.0 ? 2.5" 3" ??

superdutyt5

Jan 2, 2004
Does anyone know where I could find a web site where I can listen to the difffernt sounds of mufflers/exhaust systems. My flotech exhaust I realized was like only a 2" or mabye even 1 5'8s or something horribly restrictive and I must get a new one so my motor and flow better. What size do you recomend and brand etc. Some people say 3" would be ok because I have got the weight "Under 2800 lbs" down further so I could give up some torque for more higher end horsepower. 2.5" - 3" sounds good to me. what do you all think ? Flowmaster, edelbrock,dynomax,borla, ?

• Sponsors (?)

talk about nasty sounding...my car was pretty stock...full mac exhaust...maf,TB and a TFS intake...thats it...so thats what i was used to...but after installing 400+ cubes with more compression...and a farly health cam...and 3 inch mac exhaust with dumps...i was walken around the garage with my a$$ cheeks clenched for quite some time after first hearing it LOL

at idle mind sounds alot like falcons car..but deeper and more rumbly...and when i rev it its not so high pitched and screachy...probubly cause of the Mac mufflers and the engine size? dunno

i have always like the way a full mac setup sounds on all my cars and trucks i run mac exhaust but on my mustang 2.5 is way more then enough you only need 3 inch for over 500 horsepower. but the exhaust setup i would run would be mac 1 5/8 headers long tube, mac prochamber, mac cat back system with 2.5 tips or 3.5 it is up to you

As far as flow goes. You can take about 10 brands of muffler and dyno them and you will only see about a 5 hp difference between them. So flow isn't really that different across the board.

Straight through mufflers will obviously flow better than a chambered muffler.

As for sound. I have heard pretty much all of the mufflers out there and for the my money nothing beats the sound of Bassani. The sound is not as harsh as some of the other mufflers out there. Its a deeper growl and much smoother sounding than anything else I have heard.