Best Stock Rear Axle/Gears? Swap axle?

Hobbs4ut

Founding Member
Oct 15, 2002
Bluffton, SC
Okay guys, I just bought my second '95 GT Conv and this one is a 5spd. I believe my tag reads 3.08 gears. Obviously I want more. But this time I do not want to fight changing the gears out - I want to change the whole rear axle out with a "Cobra?" axle and get the brakes and all.

What stock rear axles, years and gears, makes and models, are out there that will fit a '95?

• Sponsors (?)

Hobbs4ut said:
Okay guys, I just bought my second '95 GT Conv and this one is a 5spd. I believe my tag reads 3.08 gears. Obviously I want more. But this time I do not want to fight changing the gears out - I want to change the whole rear axle out with a "Cobra?" axle and get the brakes and all.

What stock rear axles, years and gears, makes and models, are out there that will fit a '95?
A "Cobra axle is going to do little to nothing for you. The Cobra axles have 3.08 gears in them, too. If you are still dead set on getting a new rear, any 8.8 rear out of a Mustang will work I think all 5.0 HO Mustangs, and all 4.6 Mustangs have the 8.8, so anything from 87-04 will work.

Joe

I thought that was so.......or at least that anything '94 and up would work and keep all the disc brake stuff. Is there not anything stock with higher gears? I thought some came stock with 3.27 and 3.55. Is that not the case? If not, then I guess it's back to all day in the garage and hope it's only one day! Although I may spring the cash and pay a garage to do to it this time!

331 cobra said:
You need a Mach 1 axle. It has the big brakes and 3.55 gears I believe. I think it should bolt right in to any SN95 that does not have IRS.
Most, if not all 4.6's came with a 3.27, and only the 03-04 Mach 1's and Cobras come with a 3.55. The Mach 1 will bolt into any SN-95 regardless of having IRS or not.

Joe