best street/strip tire for a 16" rim

Yellow302

Mar 2, 2003
NJ
:shrug: I have some ****ty tires right now and i just put all new suspension in to try an cut my 60ft time. It does fel better than before but i would like a little less wheel spin and more grip off the line.

best 60ft time was a 2.2 on bald tires not even the one I have on now. on stock suspension, i have 245/50/r16's now

• Sponsors (?)

I would say get yourself some nitto 555 drag radials. The ones I used were 245 50 16's and I put them on my stock wheels just for the track but they are streetable too. They will help you hook up MUCH better you just need to make sure and roast the hell out of them first so they are nice and sticky. Oh yeah make sure and lower the tire pressure to about 15-17 psi. You'll be happy with the results.

Well I have the 17 x 8 bullits on my car for daily driving and I use the d/r's on my stock wheels for my trips to the track. IMO it's the best way to the your money's worth out of a set of dr's. Got 2 extra 16 inch wheels if your interested! I'll sell em cheap.

i have nittos, best street/strip tire period. Who said they will only last 8 months? Ive had mine for 10k+ miles and still plenty of life left. They will last this season too no doubt.

BTW ive went a best of 1.70x 60ft on 17" nittos, they do hook very well.

Street/Strip - Nitto 555R's
Strip Only - Comp TA dr's

I have had my 315/35/17 Nitto dr's for almost 2 years now and they still have about 15% life left. I've put on probably 15k miles and tons of burnouts and 1/4 passes. They are ok in the rain, but you cant drive on them like they are all season tires.

Just because you bolt up a set of Nittos, don't think you are automatically going to cut awesome 60 foot times. I've seen better times pulled on street tires than Nittos. I'm not trying to bash Nittos, although I'm not a fan of them. I'm just trying to bring a realization of what kind of chassis tuning needs to go into making a car turn good 60-foot times.

The Mickey Thompson ET Street radial should dominate the "street/strip" tire class, which includes Nitto and BFG. Although this doesn't prove much; the NMRA already banned the tire (the new MT) without even letting it be run. :rolleyes:

Take it for what it's worth...

Joe

Joes95GT said:
Just because you bolt up a set of Nittos, don't think you are automatically going to cut awesome 60 foot times. I've seen better times pulled on street tires than Nittos. I'm not trying to bash Nittos, although I'm not a fan of them. I'm just trying to bring a realization of what kind of chassis tuning needs to go into making a car turn good 60-foot times.

Joe

I gonna have to disagree there joe :rolleyes:

At the time of my best 60ft's all i had was 50/50 lakewood shocks and solid lca's. Thats it... I think if someone CAN drive and has these tires, good 60ft's should be easy! Killer has proved as well how capable the nittos are with his stock suspension. I believe even don95vert was running them on his KB vert and was pulling the front tires on the launch. They are a good tire, without a doubt. BFG's and the mickeys are great as well(well i havent seen the mickeys but i assume they will be great :D ) but neither will get the mileage the nittos will.

When it comes down to a tire that will be on the rims that you drive on the street and race on, i think nitto should be at the top of the list. If you have an extra set of rims, DR's shouldnt even be given thought, it should be some hoosier QTP's or et streets.

I agree that Nitto's are not the pinnacle of traction, its the entire combo of suspension, tires, and most importantly driver. My next tires on the stock wheels will probably be the MT ET Radials. I dont neccesarily want the killer traction of ET STreets yet because I dont wanna break a stock axle or blow out the slightly tired rear end.

The MT ET Radials are about the softest grippiest steet legal tire you can buy and still have ok driveability.

I have daily driven 10.5 et streets

11.9 M&H

these nittos.

I have 9 months on my drag radials and have ALOT more left in them

this is with BIG burnouts at the track and pulling golf ball size balls of rubber off the fender the next day.

The nittos simply talke a good driver gasket to run at the track. there is no excuse not to cut 1.8s on them and if you cant you can only blame yourself. 1.7s are atainable too. dont :taco:foot with the pressure either. drop it straight down and go. I have been at my track PSI for 5 months :)

My nittos hook FAR better on the street than any slick ever has.

Hypothetically, if i was going out to run some guy for money or fun.... I would run him on the nittos.

At the track AKA VHT land the slicks would be my choice.

I have completely stock suspension, and after I fixed my collapsed strut, i had no problem getting 1.8s with the no bottom end E cam and 3.73s. With the jacked strut... I was stuck with low 1.9s . the front end would not raise on the passengers side.

think of nittos as a mod

why would you spend 260 on a TB and add maybe a mph when you could drop ETs dramatically and gain MPH most likely with some Tire. it makes the car more fun daily as well.