Best Supercharger Choice?

NRB Auto

Jul 23, 2015
For the 600WHP Im currently working on, Im curious what supercharger would be the best bang for the buck along with some other s/c related questions. First of all when a site gives you rating such as increase from 260hp to 390hp. What will that be referring too? Max output of the s/c or just general 5-10psi. Also how do I know what is compatible for what im looking for? For example, lets say I go with one that says the 260-390. Can I safely push them much higher in psi?

• Sponsors (?)

The only advice I can give is that you do your research on the different types of superchargers and their pros/cons. Decide what the goal for your car is....just a fun daily driver, a mix of street/strip, or just looking for the 1/4 times. Building a car just to hit a specific HP number is pointless

A Vortech S-Trim, just as an example, with a 3.60 pulley and everything it comes with stock (36 psi injectors, mild tune) on an other wise stock 4.6 PI engine, should get you from the stock 260 hp to approx 390 hp at the crank...or about 350 hp to the wheels give or take. That is at about 8 psi. Now on a stock internal 4.6 2V GT, you can push it to about 10 psi (smaller pulley) or even 12 psi absolute max but 12 would be pushing it. You're safest around 8-10 and at about 400 to the wheels. Other supporting mods (intake stuff, exhaust, stage 1 cams) can get you to 400 without you having to add more boost. But that same blower, the S-Trim, is capable of pushing over 15 psi. Once you start getting into built engines, you can then start to pulley it down or even go with a bigger blower like the T-Trim or YSi-Trim.

For the 600WHP Im currently working on, Im curious what supercharger would be the best bang for the buck along with some other s/c related questions. First of all when a site gives you rating such as increase from 260hp to 390hp. What will that be referring too? Max output of the s/c or just general 5-10psi. Also how do I know what is compatible for what im looking for? For example, lets say I go with one that says the 260-390. Can I safely push them much higher in psi?

You won't get to 600 whp for long with a stock bottom end.

Why 600hp? Is it just a number that sounds good in you head, or are you thinking you need to make that much power to reach a particular goal?

Seems horsepower figures are thrown around as a popular "buzz" word, without regard for what it takes to get there, or what you'll end up with in the end.

Are you prepared to spend $20K....cause that's what you're looking at.

You won't get to 600 whp for long with a stock bottom end.

Haha sorry, my posts are a bit ignorant in detail. Bottom end is not remaining stock. I am planning on MMR Piston heads, Manly Rods, Ford Racing crank, larger cams, head swap etc. I'm mainly just trying to figure out how to "understand" what S/C to buy once built already. Most websites I see don't explain anything other than on a stock vehicle. Like they say "Will boost you from 260hp - 400hp" most of the sites don't add detail like can handle X amounts of boost or will jump you a certain amount at higher horsepower. So how do you figure what to buy from an already built standpoint. Also to the other poster 600whp is my general number due to my built GTO I had. I had roughly 625whp but I built that bought, I loved the streetablilty of it as it would dominate the road and make a great weekend driver

I'd say go Procharger. Preferably an F1 head unit but nothing smaller than a D1. I managed 523rwhp out of my D1SC with a built bottom end 2V with stock heads/cams. Best part was that, at the time, my car was a daily driver and centrifugal blowers dont start building boost until around 3500rwhp (mine hit 1psi @ 3100) so the car behaves and drives like stock while getting good MPG's. But once you floor it or boost hits, its a completely different animal!