Engine Best way to clean a GT40 Intake (very greasy/dirty)?

markinms

5 Year Member
Mar 1, 2018
Columbus MS
I recently picked-up a GT40 intake manifold assembly from an 97 Explorer w/5.0L. It is in nasty shape; very dirty, greasy, grimey. I've tried engine cleaner, parts cleaner, etc., however; it just doesn't want to come clean.

How do you guys clean your intakes? Any suggestions what I can/should do to get through all the grime?

Any help is appreciated.

Mark

• Sponsors (?)

Soaking in a citrus based degreaser, like orange blast of the zep brand stuff works best for aluminum. Then power wash with a pressure washer.

I've used oven cleaner on heads, not sure what it would do to the finish on an intake though, try it on an inconspicuous spot first.

If you determine the intake is too far gone and just want to strip the paint off completely.....Citristrip will work. It's not a degreaser, but a safe paint stripper. So a little bit more work this way.

But if you smear it on and let it sit a day or two, it will do this to the intake. Then just powerwash and scrub it off, and repeat if needed.
img_5450-jpg.jpg

Then, a good degreasing of the bare casting, and some primer and paint and good as new. I also took the time to sand down some of the casting flask with a sanding disk, as well as cut off the vacuum tree nub on the plenum edge.
img_6559-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users
If you determine the intake is too far gone and just want to strip the paint off completely.....Citristrip will work. It's not a degreaser, but a safe paint striper. So a little bit more work this way.

But if you smear it on and let it sit a day or two, it will do this to the intake. Then just powerwash and scrub it off, and repeat if needed.
img_5450-jpg.jpg

Then, a good degreasing of the bare casting, and some primer and paint and good as new. I also took the time to sand down some of the casting flask with a sanding disk, as well as cut off the vacuum tree nub on the plenum edge.
img_6559-jpg.jpg
Outstanding work on the intake; looks great. I just got the citrus-based cleaner in the mail yesterday so I'll be giving it a try to clean up the sludge. After that I may go ahead and try the Citristrip as well. It seems to really work well.

Mark