best way to ship a carb (cleaning)

foghorn67

I'll save you the time and choke myself
Founding Member
Jan 10, 2002
Orange County, CA
I want to sell my way too big carb. (not an add)

what is the best way to clean it out? just drain the fuel bowls. would shooting the throttle body with carb cleaner ruin it?

• Sponsors (?)

Do what was suggested earlier but make sure you double wrap this carb in plastic. Either that or take it to a shipping place and have them wrap it, but remember you are dealing with what the shippers call "Hazardous Materials" because of the fuel. If it leaks during shipping you can be heavily fined, we just shipped a fuel control (carb) for a jet engine and it leaked my company was fined $50,000 :eek:

When I mailed my old carb, I just had Dad wash it our really well in the parts washer and let it sit for a couple days. Then I wrapped it in a plastic bag, then newspaper, and threw it in a box. I also told the guy and the post office that it was a carb, but it had been washed out and he didn't have a problem with it.

-Chelle

Like the rest said, dump out as much as you can and let it sit for a spell. BUT.....know that fumes and vapors are more explosive in a small confined place than the actual gas itself. Once you make sure it won't drip anymore, I would advise against trapping any fumes in a plastic bag. Let em come out and mix with the outside air if they must. That would be the safest route.

foghorn67 said:
*edit*I replied with the type of carb, but I don't want to make this an add. so I took it out.

:eek:
icon_eek.gif