• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Better Sound!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ts1lightning63
  • Start date Start date Jul 13, 2017
T

Ts1lightning63

Member
Jul 13, 2017
39
1
8
Canfield
Jul 13, 2017
#1
  • Jul 13, 2017
  • #1
I have a 2004 Mustang Gt which is pretty stock. I changed the cold air intake and put Magnaflow performance mufflers on it. It sounds pretty good but I would like it a little louder. Any suggestions?
 

RaggedGT

Been here over a DECADE and still no CT
Mod Dude
Jul 20, 2014
4,754
3,208
203
Taylorsville ky
Jul 13, 2017
#2
  • Jul 13, 2017
  • #2
Welcome to Stangnet
I moved your thread to the '96-04' section. The people over here should be able to give you some good recommendations
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,392
21,593
234
Box behind Walmart
Jul 13, 2017
#3
  • Jul 13, 2017
  • #3
Ts1lightning63 said:
I have a 2004 Mustang Gt which is pretty stock. I changed the cold air intake and put Magnaflow performance mufflers on it. It sounds pretty good but I would like it a little louder. Any suggestions?
Click to expand...


Build moar motor
 
Reactions: Davedacarpainter and RaggedGT

robertsa

Well-Known Member
Apr 22, 2017
159
44
58
San Antonio
Jul 13, 2017
#4
  • Jul 13, 2017
  • #4
If you still have the cats, that's going to quiet it down a good bit. You could get a quality aftermarket mid-pipe with or without cats. I would go with, especially if you ever expect to possibly need to pass emissions.
 
T

Ts1lightning63

Member
Jul 13, 2017
39
1
8
Canfield
Jul 13, 2017
#5
  • Jul 13, 2017
  • #5
robertsa said:
If you still have the cats, that's going to quiet it down a good bit. You could get a quality aftermarket mid-pipe with or without cats. I would go with, especially if you ever expect to possibly need to pass emissions.
Click to expand...
Would you use a h or x pipe? I can still use the original cats?
 

robertsa

Well-Known Member
Apr 22, 2017
159
44
58
San Antonio
Jul 13, 2017
#6
  • Jul 13, 2017
  • #6
Ts1lightning63 said:
Would you use a h or x pipe? I can still use the original cats?
Click to expand...

The 4 factory cats are the problem. The mid-pipe houses the cats so it will come with two high flow cats if you order it with them. I prefer the h, but it's personal preference.
 

Neuron

5 Year Member
Nov 6, 2016
859
192
93
Jul 14, 2017
#7
  • Jul 14, 2017
  • #7
Which one's did you use? They make some a little louder than stock too blow your eardrums out, I suspect you got the quieter set up.
 
T

Ts1lightning63

Member
Jul 13, 2017
39
1
8
Canfield
Jul 14, 2017
#8
  • Jul 14, 2017
  • #8
Neuron said:
Which one's did you use? They make some a little louder than stock too blow your eardrums out, I suspect you got the quieter set up.
Click to expand...
Magnaflow stainless steel 4x9 universal performance muffler 2.5 inch pipes from cat back. Chip Foose indorsed...lol.
 

robertsa

Well-Known Member
Apr 22, 2017
159
44
58
San Antonio
Jul 14, 2017
#9
  • Jul 14, 2017
  • #9
Ts1lightning63 said:
Magnaflow stainless steel 4x9 universal performance muffler 2.5 inch pipes from cat back. Chip Foose indorsed...lol.
Click to expand...

You've got straight through mufflers. I expect it's the cats quieting you down. I'd still recommend a mid-pipe with high flow cats before touching the mufflers. Those Magnaflows sound good.
 
T

Ts1lightning63

Member
Jul 13, 2017
39
1
8
Canfield
Jul 15, 2017
#10
  • Jul 15, 2017
  • #10
robertsa said:
You've got straight through mufflers. I expect it's the cats quieting you down. I'd still recommend a mid-pipe with high flow cats before touching the mufflers. Those Magnaflows sound good.
Click to expand...
Thank you for your help. I guess I need to decide cats or no cats!
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

I
Engine Help requested in identifying how to resolve engine light issue
  • Ianslaney
  • Sunday at 2:23 PM
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
55
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Sunday at 2:40 PM
Bullitt347
T
First Car, what should I do for power??
  • tunedV6
  • Apr 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
387
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- May 4, 2026
580HP*428Cj
5
S
Speedometer Calibration
  • Sonny Bibb
  • Sep 11, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
4
Views
166
Digital Self-tuning Forum Sep 13, 2026
Sonny Bibb
S
New Exhaust for 408w stroker
  • SadbutTrue
  • Sep 10, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
106
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Sep 10, 2026
nickyb
J
SN95 Hello new to this app
  • James S
  • Jun 10, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
164
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 11, 2026
Habu135
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?