Big Block mustang owners????

• Sponsors (?)

Big Block Mustang

I got one but don't know if I can answer your restomod questions.

08140027.jpg

http://hometown.aol.com/boss494/myhomepage/index.html

http://hometown.aol.com/rb302/BOSS429PROJECT.html

I've got a '69 Mach with a 390 4spd combo that I'm working on... I've owned the damn thing since 1985 fixed it, raced it, replaced the engine several times, and now I'm looking at bringing it back to - well, NEAR stock.

MCABOSS said:
Nope, you use a 2 foot long ratchet extention then go through the hole in the hood hinge and under the master cylinder.

Darn it! there you go giving away Big Block secrets! (On my 390 with aluminum valve covers, I went with neoprene gaskets and studs- pull the cover, slide the exentsion down and done - probably only ads 10 15 minutes to a plug change)

Brennan - what # are U looking for... casting or what?

well, i guess there are a few out there anyway, and not the least bit of sarcasm to be found anywhere! as for questions - i want to put a 427 in my car, what headers will work, and where can u get them? the motor mounts will be the same as a 390, right? anyone know where to get an aluminum radiator for this setup? how are those for starters?

No, no 427 yet, but I will be stationed in Japan for just under 2 years, and i plan on buying the parts online and sending them home, to put all together when i come back. definately NOT going with a stroker small block! I have nothing against them, but she came with a big block, and thats whats going back in! There is a 289 under the hood right now that does pretty good, but I have decided that I HAVE to have a FE engine under the hood, at least a 428, but if i can find a suitable 427 shortblock, i will start there!

Man, I love to find a good 427 block...
Headers - Hooker Super Comps - the mustang ones come with BOTH exhaust bolt patterns so you can use either "Mustang" heads or the over/under bolts (although if you use that - bolt the headers on FIRST before dropping it in... 'cause you aren't going to get to those bolts again)

I've had a set for many years - No real problems except the starter will get heat soaked on 90+ summer days. I never bothered since it is my "toy" car- but a heat sheild for the starter might be a good idea.

You will also need a P/S extension bracket if you are going to run P/S - and you'll want to sheild that as well from the headers.

As for the blocks - with FE's - any '65 and up block will do - the earlier blocks have a different motor mount block casting - you probably could cobble something to make it work -

I've been running a stock 3 core radiator - I ran really hot only once - it was 105 degrees and I was stuck in traffic.