Big block swap

Dan89GT

Jul 26, 1999
Mishicot, WI
I'll start by explaining what I have and what I want to do. I have a 93 convertible that was born as a 4 cylinder car. I bought it after somebody swapped the engine and trans with a 460 and C6. After looking at the cost to upgrade the brakes and other things to make the car solid I decided to consider other options.

I have completely rebuilt the motor and have $9,000 in it so I want to use it. Would this motor fit in an 05-09? Can I use the stock manual trans? Would it be more cost effective to use a GT or V6? Also, I am very open to other ideas or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Would be cheaper to sell the big block to someone with a suitable project and buy a GT500 and just enjoy it.

That is an option I haven't considered. Thanks for the idea. It is a buyers market, not a sellers, so I didn't look at that option. Most likely I would lose quite a bit selling the motor. I have put a lot of of time and money into the motor also, so I would like to find a home for it. I've considered classic Mustangs and Cobra kits like Superformance and Factory Five also. I just want to explore this option before I disregard it.

That is an option I haven't considered. Thanks for the idea. It is a buyers market, not a sellers, so I didn't look at that option. Most likely I would lose quite a bit selling the motor. I have put a lot of of time and money into the motor also, so I would like to find a home for it. I've considered classic Mustangs and Cobra kits like Superformance and Factory Five also. I just want to explore this option before I disregard it.

I know people have stuck 351s in there.

There's no difference between a V6 and a GT in the engine bay, aside from what's actually IN the engine bay. Probably a k-member swap to put a 4.6 into a V6 chassis.

Anyhoo, I'm not sure of the absolute dimensions of the bay, definitely not sure about the size of a 460, but the 32V DOHC motor is pretty huge. I'd expect a big block to fit.

I'd start by looking up the size of the DOHC motor (height, width, length) and compare that to the dimensions of a 460 crate.

Assuming you have the cash, skills, and the motor will fit between the strut towers, I say go for it. V6 chassis will be the cheaper route(cars tend to be $5000 less at a minimum on average). Same amount of fab will be required otherwise.

You definitely will want to axe the V6 rear end and put a GT rear end in. The 8.8 should be up to snuff.

I had a FFR Cobra with a built 302 and a manual 5 spd and it was really fast at only 2250 lbs. That would be fun with a nice 460 in it - the beefy 4-inch tube frame is good for up to around 800-850 hp. Fun car but not very practical, had mine four years and sold it. Scared the you know what out of my wife....

I'd probably look for a lightly wrecked car to start with...that would probably be the most cost effective solution.

If the car would be a trailor queen track car another option would be a body in white. They start at around $3500, but alot must be added to make a complete car out of them, and they cannot be titled or registered.

It would suck to pay the going rate for a car only to throw out half of it. Even if you sold what you removed, you'd probably lose money. You could probably find a wrecked car that you could pay cash for, or very close to it. Then whatever you remove and sell could go towards the car, and not a car payment.

Keep in mind that in removing the 3 valve engine, you'd also be discarding the computer. There would be significant rewiring needed. The entire gauge cluster would need to be replaced, and much of the electrical systems in these cars is run on the CAN Data Bus. Things that used to be simple, like lights, stereo, etc, can be much more complicated and rely on other seemingly unrelated systems to function.

You might want to check out John Kaase Racing. They put a carb'd 589ci BOSS motor in an s197, so they should know what it would take to do a swap like you're talking about.

Here's a link to the article:

Jon Kaase Unleashes the Boss Nine 589ci Ford Mustang - Ford Mustang | StangNet.com

And to John Kaase Racing's website:

Jon Kaase Racing Engines - John Kaase Racing Engines

there used to be a guy in Indiana that had a conection with a ford plant and was buying "bodies in white" which is just the body. they were scrapping the bodies because of paint defects with no vin tags. im sure you could find one of those for $2,000- 3,000 and just start from there then just buy a totaled gt to get the interior, vin tag, and suspenion parts you want