Blower install?...word to the wise

anthony05gt

Mar 18, 2006
Maryland
Just figured I'd put my experience this weekend out there. I pulled my Procharger system off and installed it on my boy's '05 this past weekend. My car was running great at 11 psi, no problems at all at 9k miles. His car has almost 30k miles on it and ran perfect before the install. After I was done the car wouldn't idle even after setting the idle up higher with the Predator. Got up on Sunday morning and decided to pull his throttle body and maf sensor off for a cleaning. Problem solved. On a newer car I wouldn't think it's necessary, but he has almost 30k miles

• Sponsors (?)

So the stock/near stock airflow is ok on a somewhat dirty MAF, but definitely not once F/I is introduced. Makes sense to clean all the parts that will go back on prior to reinstall.
Reading this will more than likely have me pull mine off in the next week and clean it since I now have 31K+ miles on mine.

The TB comes off in just about a minute or 2. The maf sensor is full of delicate parts and should be cleaned with maf cleaner. I used some contact cleaner which is designed for sensitve electronics too. Maf cleaner is available at the auto parts stores. As far as the TB goes, I just wiped out the bore and plates with some brakleen. I wouldn't use brakleen on a maf sensor.

I have a little over 30k on my 05 and in the mornings recently I noticed a skip in the idle... felt like a slight bump every 5 or so seconds almost unnoticeable except I could barely feel it in the seat. After I flashed an SCT tune it became more noticeable. My first thought was a bad plug but I picked up a can of throttle body cleaner and some maf cleaner and I have to say the idle is much smoother. Plan to pick up some Lucas tomorrow when I top off the tank... injectors could probably use another dose.

i had this problem with my procharger, from pulling oil from the valve cover back into the system cause its routed back to the intake tube. I took this off and put 2 little small K&N breathers on the valve covers. ***JUST BE WARNED*** that after you do that, you will need a re-tune cause the breathers bring in to much unmetered air and will throw an engine code. But all in all problem solved

I spliced a small inline fuel filter in both the right and left cam cover vent hoses that lead to the intake and after 3200 mi. it is still clean inside. I hid the spliced areas with black tape and it looks factory. Mine doesn't have a blower but it might be an alternative to using open element K&N vent breathers. A friend borrowed my camera and hasn't returned it yet but I found this pic of a GT engine and I outlined in yellow the 2 hoses I spliced the filters into and the place I made the cuts. The cuts aren't to scale but that is the general area. The driver side one has a foam rubber sleeve. Just pull it back, cut the hose, insert the filter, tape over it then roll the foam back over it . These 2 hoses are the only ones I found connecting the cam covers to the intake and TB. The filters were about 2 bucks each. They have a fine mesh screen inside which should trap most if not all the crap that can migrate from the covers while allowing pressure to still migrate out the covers. I would replace them every 8,000-10,000 miles to be safe. I hope the owner of the blue intake doesn't mind me using his pic.