Blue Smoke

VT66PONY

Jan 1, 2005
Virginia
So my 302 is consuming A LOT of oil and there is blue smoke coming out of my right exhaust pipe. :nonono: What's the diagnosis?

I know I probably need a rebuild but I don't have a garage, tools, or the knowledge to rebuild it myself. So is it worth getting a shop to do it for me? Or should I just dish out the money to get a new crate engine?

• Sponsors (?)

VT66PONY said:
So my 302 is consuming A LOT of oil and there is blue smoke coming out of my right exhaust pipe. :nonono: What's the diagnosis?

I know I probably need a rebuild but I don't have a garage, tools, or the knowledge to rebuild it myself. So is it worth getting a shop to do it for me? Or should I just dish out the money to get a new crate engine?

Blue smoke is oil. Probably a bad piston ring or valve seal. Burning alot of oil is bad. Probably need to do something soon.
You can save a lot of money by pulling it yourself and sending it to be rebuilt if you think you can handle it. Ask around and find a reputable shop first. They can tell you if it is worth saving and rebuild $ vs. Crate $

Thanks. I took it to a shop today and they said they can do a rebuild for around 2k but then again he said some people like to get already rebuilt engines for around that price if not cheaper. Since the car didn't come with the original engine anyways, I think I might just hunt around for a newly rebuilt engine. Anyone have one in Virginia? :shrug: :)