Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tools

MarineDeuce

Jul 16, 2018
St Johns
I am sure this has been discussed TO DEATH on this forum at one time or other or. . . However, with the cost of OBDII scan tools anyhere from nearly free to hundreds of dollars, I thought I would toss in a recent experience. This involves my 2013 Mustang GT 5.0. I have run a FIXD bluetooth that came with the car and the FIXD software for a year. I recently bought the premium version of the app, Torque after using the free lite version for awhile. It is a great improvement over the FIXD app as it avoids all the annoying opinions about the severity of issues. Now comes along a Chinese version of the plugin Bluetooth scan tool which I will not name except to note that I got mine from ebay for twenty five cents! Thats right, $0.25! When I set this up in my car and selected the 11bit, 500k OBDII protocol my car uses, Voila, lift off with all OBDII sensors and systems reporting and all the gauges and styles you could want available. This in addition to acceleration, various time and distance functions and on and on. A quarter and 2 bucks shipping - from China.

• Sponsors (?)

The adaptor you speak of is an ELM327 or clone. Seems like every electronics company on the planet markets a version of this.

Great for us.

I've had mine for many years now and it bounces between my fleet of OBD2 vehicles ( I have kids who drive cars too ). The torque app has continued to evolve since the first time I used it. I bought the Pro version for $4 right off the bat all those years ago and have never paid for an update. It's lifetime and been reinstalled on all of my phones. Just buy it.

You can find plenty of those ELM units on Ebay Amazon etc. that are already in country and be on your door by morning in most places.

The adaptor you speak of is an ELM327 or clone. Seems like every electronics company on the planet markets a version of this.

Great for us.

I've had mine for many years now and it bounces between my fleet of OBD2 vehicles ( I have kids who drive cars too ). The torque app has continued to evolve since the first time I used it. I bought the Pro version for $4 right off the bat all those years ago and have never paid for an update. It's lifetime and been reinstalled on all of my phones. Just buy it.

You can find plenty of those ELM units on Ebay Amazon etc. that are already in country and be on your door by morning in most places.

Yeah. This one is a Vgate and it is just great. Don't think it does abs and some other stuff but for day to day engine info its fantastic. And it appears pretty nicely made. Have not unscrewed the top to peek inside but through the case all seems like a well done circuit board. Its data agrees perfectly with my FIXD, not that the FIXD is a standard but petty consistency is still nice.