Body/Paint Experts, Please Help

horseballz

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Hi Guys,
I've just finished nicely detailing the engine compartment and underside of my 68 rust free Coupe. I need to reassemble it without a very much needed paint job, as right now I can't afford the $1500-$2000 for materials to do it right and certainly don't have the $8000-$12000 or more to have someone do it for me.I have a tentative plan to do a piece by piece job that I think will work out and I'm hoping that you can help with some guidance and corrections of any misconceptions I may have. I want to be able to drive the car a bit while doing this. I am changing from at least three layers/different colors of paint back to the original Sunlit Gold in base coat clear coat, so I realize that the final color on the outer parts of the car will have to be done all at once for the metallic to match from piece to piece. I only want to remove/replace windshield and rear window once. Here is my list in order:

1-Completely strip front fenders, doors, hood and trunk lid, epoxy primer inside and out, do the same to door jambs and trunk interior.

2-Prime and paint new color and clear coat on inside of trunk/lid, hood, fenders, door jambs and jamb area of doors. Reinstall all parts.

3-Piece by piece, as time and budget allows, sandable prime the outside of each panel and do whatever minor repairs necessary, block sand and repeat as needed.

4- When time and $$$ allow, remove windshield and rear window, strip roof and rear quarters, epoxy prime, sandable prime, etc, etc.

5-Wet sand/prep whole car and paint or have car painted the rest of the way.

I understand that this is not an ideal way to do a paint job, but it will help spread the cost and labor over a period of time, while allowing me to work out mechanical issues. It also seems that it will give me some good practice learning/working on my spray gun/techniques and working with the base coat/clear coat. I am also assuming that while a regular primer doesn't provide any sealing, the epoxy primer underneath it will. I have a nice large compressor and all of the stuff to make a temporary, well ventilated spray booth. Please correct me and tell me if I'm just making a bigger mess or getting in way over my head. Please be aware, there will likely be at least a couple more questions.

My Sincerest Appreciation In Advance,
Gene

• Sponsors (?)

Not to worry. You should finish and detail the engine compartment, then edge paint the car, then install the engine.

DSCN0751.jpg