Body work questions? (Long)

Labora

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2000
Dallas, Texas
Ok guys I figured some of you are on your 2nd or 3rd resto, so I figured you guys are the ones to come to for body work advice. So please help me out with some words of wisdom. Me and a friend have a car we are about to need to paint and do a minor amount of body work, and use some body filler on it. I’m not so worried about advice on how to paint as I am about the proper way to do the prep work and what are some good products to use for this (such as decent paint, primer, body filler, paint gun, whatever else we may need). We will be getting a paint gun before long for this, and then later an air brush to do the detail work on some flames for the front and sides of the car.

We would like to paint the engine bay, interior (it will be stripped this is going to be a race car project), and the outside of course.

For the Engine bay, we plan to use basically something flat black (maybe just sealant or black primer). What’s the proper way to paint the bay as far as prepping it? It doesn’t have to be fancy here because we just want a black color but we want it to stick also we will do this once we have the engine out (or we won’t do it at all).

For the interior we will be pulling the carpet and probably the dash most of the car is going to be black. What should we do here to prep the inside to make sure the paint will stick here again the paint we want to use black (for the inside we will probably use whatever we use in the engine bay) we just want the inside to match the outside and since the car will have no carpet we don’t want a bunch of blue showing (old color) or metal floor pans.

The outside is probably what I have the most questions about (because we want it to come out the best). The car has the stock paint on it, it’s oxidized in some places. We plan to take off all the badges and the granny rack, and the side moldings on the car. After that we are going to do some body work. It has a small small crease in one of the doors where something pushed it in then dragged and a few door dings and a few small cracks in the front bumper. What is the best way to repair the bumper just use body filler on it then smooth it up? The cracks aren’t that bad and are fairly small I guess it was a real slow speed tap.

My idea of the best way to do the work on the outside was work on a panel at a time take it down to the bare metal (using air craft stripper) then smooth it out with a fine grit paper. Then prime it with whatever a good primer would be. (Is there any kind of chemical I should use to treat the bare metal before priming it.) After all the body panels are done we would go ahead and come back with the paint gun and do a second coat of primer to get it all looking 100% the same and even it out. After that dries we would go ahead and paint it all black including the inside at the same time.

Now we have a car that is all black with of 2 layers of primer under it. After this I would want to come back and airbrush the flames on it. Now to do this we would tape off the sections we don’t want to paint with very fine tape now we just paint on top of the black paint doing the fine detail work. Then finish it all off with a layer of clear or 2. Does this sound like a good plan to you guys? Just so you know the quality of the outside of the paint we are aiming for it just a smooth finish. We want to do this on about the budget of a Macoco paint job so this factors into it we will be doing it in our own home made paint booth. It is going to be a race car so I don’t want to cry about some oil spilling on it or if it gets smashed up or whatever Just a nice urethane paint job I guess is what we want something that will be durable.

100% of this what me and him thought would be the best way to do it. I guess I would just like you guys to help with answering my questions, offer some advice on the supplies we should get for this, and tweaking the system we had in mind. If you really read all that and replied thanks a lot for your help!

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, first off you sound plenty ambitious about the whole thing! To help you get a grip on what's required to do a total repaint (and make it last) try reading a couple of message boards like www.paintucation.com or www.autobodystore.com these are great places with tons of info and both sell video tapes that will more than answer any questions on the right way for any begining painter to approach a project. Another site for THE best prices on tools, like spray guns, etc. is www.autobodydepot.com and their subsite www.spraygundepot.com these guys are THE fastest shippers, period. They also have great prices on some really nice spray guns, like a Devilbiss Finishline 3 for $106 or the Sharpe Platinum for $225 both of these guns are very nice guns and are priced at least $100 below what you'l find at your local retailer. Sorry if I sound like I'm not answering your questions directly, but these sites are exactly what someone wanting to try painting their own car (lots of fun) themselves needs. Good Luck!