bodywork question

not sure if im in the right forum but anyway..
i wanted to know if anyone has replaced rocker panels on the mustang, i can have a set of rockers shaped out of sheet metal and welded in, or cut them off another car? which would be easier? i have access to a car with good rockers, and not sure which way to go.
its only the lower part that is bad, (underside of the car) to the 1" lip. the part inside the door frame is still good.
any suggestions?
lego

• Sponsors (?)

I'd say from past experience, either way is gonna work, although I am kinda partial to fabing new ones. Which ever one you choose, just make sure you just a good zinc rich primer, inside and out, specially on the weld. And make sure you weld it, cause some people use rivits and it just doesnt look the same. Good luck. Oh, and I'm not sure how much body work youre doing, but it took me 3 months to go from bumper to bumper, and let me tell you, it will be a long time before I do that again!

I work in a body shop,and I would have them made or buy new. Like tru blue said, use a good zinc primer on bothsides and also put a lot and I mean a lot on the weld. If you dont the weld will rust out. If you buy new ones they will be slightly bigger, But this is good. It will take out the metal that is started to rust inside that you can not see.

ok guess ill go with the made ones :)
yes its being welded on by a welder friend of mine.
as far as the priming the inside..do i prime the whole part before welding? that wont interfere with the welding?
whats the difference with zinc primer and normal primer?
thanks for the help

lego

since you can buy practially every body panel new, i would also buy new. Makes sure you use some body sealer, metal etching primer and good paint to make sure its all sealed up good otherwise it will rust again in a few years.

Dr.