Book banning?

This is a complicated issue. The children are being caught in the middle of the culture wars, with both sides trying to do what’s best in their judgement with the press and memes making it worse.

Unfortunately, too many parents have not done their jobs in educating their children about too many subjects, so the schools have been legislated to pick up the slack. Then, too many in the schools have decided to indoctrinate, not educate.
I would not want to be a librarian or administrator right now.

The local district put in a new policy that allows parents to approve of the books their child checks out, or give the student free reign of the library. It seems like a hassle, but a reasonable solution.
 
This is a complicated issue. The children are being caught in the middle of the culture wars, with both sides trying to do what’s best in their judgement with the press and memes making it worse.

Unfortunately, too many parents have not done their jobs in educating their children about too many subjects, so the schools have been legislated to pick up the slack. Then, too many in the schools have decided to indoctrinate, not educate.
I would not want to be a librarian or administrator right now.

The local district put in a new policy that allows parents to approve of the books their child checks out, or give the student free reign of the library. It seems like a hassle, but a reasonable solution.
I've raised 4 kids. I prefered they be exposed to all aspects of life that would be age appropriate. My mom hid nothing from my sister and I. She accepted anyone and everyone. I grew up knowing gay and lesbian adults, alternative religions that attracted all races. I chose not to hide anything from my kids. If they had questions, I answered them.

I dealt with racism in my own neighborhood. My son played ball in high school had several friends who were black who would come over to shoot basketball. I told offended neighbor that they could stuff their opinion on who I invited to my house.

I'm betting many of those parents are the same who complain when there kids are sent home for whatever reason because they are unhappy about not having their baby sitter. Then want to complain when they feel the education isn't up to whatever it is they think is should be.
 
Classic novels or books with subject matter pertaining to race or sexual preferences is not pron. Do you really think kids are not exposed to any and all of these subjects on a daily?
This year, it is not about the classics. The top banned or challenged books of the year list will not be Charolette’s Web, Little House on the Prairie, Twain and Orwell this time.
Harry Potter and Twilight are still being attacked in some circles, but I doubt they will make the top ten of a current list.
 
This year, it is not about the classics. The top banned or challenged books of the year list will not be Charolette’s Web, Little House on the Prairie, Twain and Orwell this time.
Harry Potter and Twilight are still being attacked in some circles, but I doubt they will make the top ten of a current list.


What? No "1984"? I wrote a book report on that in 7th grade
 
I've raised 4 kids. I prefered they be exposed to all aspects of life that would be age appropriate. My mom hid nothing from my sister and I. She accepted anyone and everyone. I grew up knowing gay and lesbian adults, alternative religions that attracted all races. I chose not to hide anything from my kids. If they had questions, I answered them.

I dealt with racism in my own neighborhood. My son played ball in high school had several friends who were black who would come over to shoot basketball. I told offended neighbor that they could stuff their opinion on who I invited to my house.

I'm betting many of those parents are the same who complain when there kids are sent home for whatever reason because they are unhappy about not having their baby sitter. Then want to complain when they feel the education isn't up to whatever it is they think is should be.
well done but to show you how messed up the world is now.. If you post that on any social media then follow it up by saying you voted for Trump you will be branded a racist. People are out of their minds now
 
  • Like
Reactions: General karthief
well done but to show you how messed up the world is now.. If you post that on any social media then follow it up by saying you voted for Trump you will be branded a racist. People are out of their minds now
I believed in Trump's agenda. Eventually, I didn't agree with his tactics. I thought his rhetoric would die out after the election. He concentrated so much on those that opposed him he lost sight of what he was supposed to be doing as President. It didn't help that he was creating division all along by demonizing whole groups of Americans. When you insinuate an entire party is evil you alienate nearly half the country. His rhetoric and narcissism was his downfall.

He gets tagged with racist connotations by association. It wasn't for Biden that tiki torches were lit in Charlottesville. The Proud Boys https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-extremists-explainer-idUSKBN26L3Q1
or the Klan https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-kkk-idUSKBN12X2IG
don't march is support of any Democrats. And no matter how much he tried to distance himself from groups of that type, they still held him in high regard.
 
What? No "1984"? I wrote a book report on that in 7th grade
I had my kids read Animal Farm and 1984 to explain the history and predictions, and how they relate to current world events before they got a young HS teacher who did not understand the books or was too chicken to say how much of a prophet Orwell was.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ryuk
It's not just conservatives.

1. If someone is getting assignments that are always in their comfort zone and are they not challenged by, they will not learn much.
2. Cross curriculum assignments and units are supposed to be great for learning. History, particularly this history and this month, needs to be taught. You do not have to buy into the 1619 project to believe this ugliness needs to be addressed to not happen anymore.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ronin38
I believed in Trump's agenda. Eventually, I didn't agree with his tactics. I thought his rhetoric would die out after the election. He concentrated so much on those that opposed him he lost sight of what he was supposed to be doing as President. It didn't help that he was creating division all along by demonizing whole groups of Americans. When you insinuate an entire party is evil you alienate nearly half the country. His rhetoric and narcissism was his downfall.

He gets tagged with racist connotations by association. It wasn't for Biden that tiki torches were lit in Charlottesville. The Proud Boys https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-extremists-explainer-idUSKBN26L3Q1
or the Klan https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-kkk-idUSKBN12X2IG
don't march is support of any Democrats. And no matter how much he tried to distance himself from groups of that type, they still held him in high regard.

I'm finished responding to this because you just rattled off various speaking points and I although I agree to a degree, there are just allot more to each and don't care to put forth the effort honestly.
 
This is a great example of a reaction to a genuine threat going to far in the wrong direction. States have introduced legislation to prevent books steeped in critical race theory or that are sexually explicit from being used in school curricula. Of course, said legislation is poorly worded, good books are being swept up in it, and it's being framed as "right wing book bannings on the rise".

Bottom line, no one should be banning books. However, this isn't the result of some plot to keep white students from feeling uncomfortable in class. A lot of members in this thread already have the right idea: make your kids read good books. Expand their minds and teach them to think critically.


View: https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/status/1465752991827382272



View: https://twitter.com/BYECAHELLOTEXAS/status/1453169035902951424



View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDEP0JGW3c8
 
I dealt with racism in my own neighborhood. My son played ball in high school had several friends who were black who would come over to shoot basketball. I told offended neighbor that they could stuff their opinion on who I invited to my house.
The group of friends I ran with ( car guys) had a black guy show up at one of our Keggers.. " Vince" was a nice guy who was an Athlete at the University of Oregon... "Vince" came to a few of our parties and we all got along fine... Then this happened a few weeks later.... I was with one of the guys and we went into a campus bar to have a beer and look at college poon tang, and there was Ole Vince" with some of his black friends..... He ignored us and acted like he had NO IDEA who we were in front of his black friends....
How is that for stuffing it?? OH and later Vince was famous in the local paper.... Molested a minor girl.....
 
The group of friends I ran with ( car guys) had a black guy show up at one of our Keggers.. " Vince" was a nice guy who was an Athlete at the University of Oregon... "Vince" came to a few of our parties and we all got along fine... Then this happened a few weeks later.... I was with one of the guys and we went into a campus bar to have a beer and look at college poon tang, and there was Ole Vince" with some of his black friends..... He ignored us and acted like he had NO IDEA who we were in front of his black friends....
How is that for stuffing it?? OH and later Vince was famous in the local paper.... Molested a minor girl.....
 
something called 'critical race theory' by right of center folk when history was taught in the schools. It is an idea rather than a fact. Those who 'win' supply us with their own view of what happened in the past. It's simply human nature to do so, & they have the ability to do so for the whole or rest. "Revisionist History. It happens cuz all of us are socialized in our own lill cultures (smallest? our family - goes up thru neighborhood, to town, etc). Once a culture clashes w/another ppl have a choice to take an inquisitive stance ("Hummm...what is this?") or a reactionary one - "Those people are wrong (broken, shifty, bad)." Listen w/wonder, interest, healthy skepticism and expand yourself~
/OR/
stay in the "Echo Chamber" & have every antiquated, dear to heart, and familiar thought U have confirmed. Stop growing...
(Sent with Care'n Concern. Did not read any of the above B4 writing. Now onto do so).