Bought a truck, may have made a huge mistake! Help!

fawcett

Sep 10, 2003
Cohasset, Ma
Awe man the more I think about this the more I regret it.
And thats the worst!

I finished work and went to a local dealership to look at some trucks, I need a money maker to landscape with. A sales guy came out brought me inside and asked me to lay my cards out on the table to him. Stupid me I did. I said I have $3k and want to spend $300 per month max.

He showed me a F150 which was great except he kept saying it had 4x4 when it was 2WD. Then he showed me a Chevy 1500, 5.3 liter engine 4x4 8ft bed pwr windows locks cloth seats 69,000miles. Pretty much perfect except that it wasnt the Ford.

We go back inside he and some other guy go back and forth talking nonsense. They end up telling me 350 per month 3k down and offer me $2500 for my Mitsu Montero which was generous. I said no then they offered 300 per month and 3500 for the Mitsu. I said that sounds better I have to sleep on it. The main guy fires 285per month and 4k for the Mitsu. Again, I said that sounds good, but I want to sleep on it. I try to leave but they keep talking to me. Finally we get to 265 per month and 5k for the Mitsu. Sounds good....

I start signing papers like an idiot and immediatlly once I finish I realized that they never told me the price of the truck. I did ask. I asked each of the two sales men working with me, neither of them gave me an answer. I think that what they did was have a set price for the truck and they kept raising it as they raised the trade in for my Montero. On top of that my loan is 9.4% which I just realized is really high.

Making matters worse is Kellys Blue Book shows that I paid $2k over what I should have.

IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN GET OUT OF THIS? The title for Montero is in my sisters name. They need the title and my sisters signature to close the deal on the trade in. Can that help? I have had the truck for less than 24hrs and the only money that has exchanged hands is the $3k I put down.

I wish I slept on it like I wanted to. Now it is 2:40am and I cant sleep.
Freddie

• Sponsors (?)

Back out if you can but its really not their fault. A dealership exists to make money, not make sure everyone gets a great deal. There are several tricks they will use, which I assume worked with you:

1 - They pulled you off the lot once they learned that you needed a truck and had you follow them into their office. You are "following them" and sitting in front of their desk, two things which create an illusion of control.

2 - They never want to settle on an agreed upon price. They will always work with the monthly amount. You're exactly right, they were playing games with the final price and loan terms but stretching it out to make you feel comfortable. Always get the total price, then negotiate the loan terms after you agree upon the price.

3 - More then one guy came over and worked on the deal. They may have good cop / bad copped you. 2-3 against 1 will instinctivily back you into a corner and trigger a defense mechanism. You will try to get out of that situation as fast as you can.

In most states you have a 72 hour cooling off period. I'm not sure about Massachusetts. Some states have a 24 hour period. Either way, you have to contact an attorney and have him on standby or else the car dealership will blow you off. This will work better if the truck was new. Used cars are typically sold "as-is" and you would have signed a paper saying you inspected it to your approval. You did test drive it didn't you?

Adam

Man, that sucks...

I would call the dealer this morning, explain the situation and ask if they can do anything. Then if that fails I would start making other calls, probably to the attourney general first then go from there...

Sadly you may be in this one. My father did the same deal about 3 years ago here in NJ. Almost exactly the way you describe it and after attorneys and letters, it was concluded sold "as-is, where-is" We traded it in a year later and got a great deal at a different dealership.

Good Luck,
-rS

Ohh don't be suprised if you go back in there and they tell you its ok they will take the car back and you can take the montero home with you but they will prolly try to screw you on your three grand.

Ohh don't be suprised if you go back in there and they tell you its ok they will take the car back and you can take the montero home with you but they will prolly try to screw you on your three grand.

my thoughts exactly. most times they don't want to lose you as a customer especially with what your looking for. but the down payment they'll do their hardest to keep.

I was starting to come around to the truck.
Starting to like it, then the check engine light came on?
Possible lemon?
Possible out?
The check engine light was not on when I test drove it.

I am going there tomorrow, I think I might be ok to sneak out of this deal.

Freddie

Did your sis sign-off on the Montero? If not, she can say that it's her truck and she never said it was ok to sell it. That will likely be a deal breaker. Especially since you arent coming off any other cash to replace the Montero. You will prolly have to give up some cash (like $500, or so) as a "restocking" fee. Still better than ending up w/ truck with the engine light on.

Good luck, dude. You're gonna need it, I'm afraid.

Took it in to get serviced today. Dropped it off around noon, they said it would be ready at 5. Picked it up and the check engine light is still on. I know they drove it, I looked at the mileage before I left it there.

I looked into the Ma. Lemon Law and they have three strikes to fix any safety or major issues with the vehicle-then they are pretty much obligated to recognize that the vehicle is a Lemon and the buyer is entitled to reimbersement at an agreed set amount of money (or a new vehicle of the same make if you bought new). The amount must be agreed upon between both parties. You can bring someone in from the outside to say whats fair or you can go to court and do the lawer thing.

I am less than pleased but with one strike on the count and tomorrows polite drop off I think they will think I am stupid and not fix the problem. Then strike three is right around the corner and I am out.

Tomorrow I am going to point out that this is my second time dropping the truck off for service within a three days of ownership. I will get documents saying that it was dropped off but steer clear of any Lemon Law conversations. I am playing the game, lets see where things go.

Freddie

You are flirtying with disaster!

I'm with the above.

What place in MA is this? I just want to avoid a shop that would return a vehicle with the check engine light still on. That doesn't make any sense!

A GREAT place to get a Ford vehicle dealer serviced in MA is Framingham Ford. Totally up front, honest, and they do not BS. The head mechanic will come out and show you exactly whats wrong, will explain the labor rates, markups, etc. They'll tell you its not cheap there, but they don't try to hide things like other dealerships I have experience with.

When I moved to Natick and had some parts fail on my F150, I didn't know any local guys and had to have the truck towed somewhere, so naturally I went to a dealership. Don't regret it.

Adam

I am confused. I thought you wanted to give the track back and be done with it? Now you are trying to play some game with returning it 3 times for service just to get out of it? I think you went the wrong direction and you are going to get screwed sadly enough. Like the other guys said, the fact that it is your sisters montero you should have used that for leverage and gotten out of the deal. I think you should start getting used to your new truck because they aren't taking it back.

It has been a while since I have replied to this one.

On Friday I was driving the truck to work (with the check engine light still on) and it stalled out on me at an intersection. I was pretty pissed about that to say the least. I got my landscaping stuff set up on a different truck and had my bud follow me to the dealership.

I walked in and asked to speak to the highest level guy on the premises. I got one of the guys who sold me my truck. I told him that the truck stalled, I could have been killed-I WANT MY MONEY BACK.

He told me that the truck was mine and that I couldnt give it back because I signed my name on some papers. I told him that Ma. has a law that allows the consumer to return a purchase within three days of the initial sale. He told me to go pound some sand and another guy started mouthing off at me stepped up and got in my face. This all happened before 9am. I was in disbelief.

I realized they wouldnt listen to me so I decided to hear them out. They said they could fix it and that they wouldnt bill me for it. I didnt reply to them, I just said do whatever can I pick it up at five? They said yes.

My first job was to landscape a house belonging to a guy who deals with this type of BS all the time. He sells large quantities of cars to dealers and makes a lot of money. He told me to go get my stuff out of the truck, remove the plates and leave it there at the dealership. He also told me to call my c.c. company and stop the payment to the dealership as well as call the bank that the loan was drawn through and tell them the deal was off. I just barely managed to do everything but I followed his instructions.

I do have some tricks up my sleeve. The truck that I bought was never titled or registered in my name. It couldnt be, I never gave them my insurance info. I also left the truck on their property and closed every door possible before the 72hr time limit. The icing on the cake is the title for my trade in. The Montero was titled in my sisters name and they told me that it was ok for me to sign my name to authorize the transfer of ownership... This is very illegal right? How could they resell it if I authorized the sale of someone elses vehicle. I am pretty sure they can't.

Tomorrow (sunday) I am going back but this time I am bringing some extra force.
Lets see how things work out,
If I am freed of this I am going to buy new and be done with it!
Freddie