Bought my first Fox

hybridEF8

May 26, 2011
Hey guys I just wanted to introduce myself. I bought a 92 LX hatch last week for $1800. I just got her registered as no-op and I'm getting ready to fix her up a bit. The car has a few mods already but I don't mind. It's pretty hard to find a stock one for a good price anyway. Here's a picture of the car. Just one for now until I can get my camera back.

3e102831.jpg

I've got a good bit of bodywork ahead of me. There's dents on the bottoms of the quarterpanels and I'll need new bumpers. I plan on doing the body work myself and then having my dad spray the car. Not sure on the color yet. I'm also not sure what to do with the motor. The motor and transmission feel fine (no smoke, the clutch doesn't slip, no grinds) and the car runs well though I think I noticed a bit of a surging idle. There's a little oil leak somewhere but that's nothing some fresh gaskets shouldn't fix. I've worked on 4 bangers both pushrod and overhead cam in the past but a v8 should be a real treat.

Anyway I was hoping to get some input on a couple things:
1. The first car I ever painted I stripped down completely but the builds I see here people tend to leave the doors and fenders on. I want to do it right, but I don't want to do work for nothing either. Any advice?
2. I'm considering some minor engine work. (E cam, new pushrods, and rocker arms) Is this necessary and will I get any benefit? At the least I was thinking just an E cam for a little performance boost. I'm on a bit of a budget and I'm not going to be building the motor.
3. I've got a grey interior at the moment but I wanted to switch to black since some things like the door panels and visors are in poor condition. Is it reasonable to buy all brand new black interior pieces save for the dash? What are my options?

I'm still trying to learn as much as I can about the car I have and any input I can get is appreciated. I'm hoping my budget doesn't run out but I really want to build this car right. My first project was a honda CRX which I restored (not riced out) and currently drive on a 60 mile commute to school. I spent $3600 on that and countless hours on the forums. Anyway, I'm glad to be here. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Unless you are going to change the heads also, don't waste your time on the E cam. You will see very little improvement if any at all. The heads are the bottle neck on the HO 302. Nice looking car and welcome to the forums!

Unless you are going to change the heads also, don't waste your time on the E cam. You will see very little improvement if any at all. The heads are the bottle neck on the HO 302. Nice looking car and welcome to the forums!

+1. The cam is the last thing you should change on a 5.0. There are a lot of guys with just head/intake swaps that actually go pretty fast on the stock cam.

If you want a mild performance boost, look into gears, exhaust, bigger MAF meter, stuff like that. Maybe a 70mm TB and a GT40 style intake. All that can be done for relatively cheap, and if you couple it with some sticky tires, you might even get yourself into the 12s.

No E cam it is, thanks guys. I've been looking at some sort of top end kit but they're expensive. Since that seems to be the way to go I'll look into it though. I'm gonna sell my CRX anyway. My dad and I are prepping the garage right now so I'll make sure to get some final pictures before she goes under the knife.

I'm a little late, but WELCOME!, and nice car. I haven't been here very long, but the guys here are a wealth of knowledge, and will help you on just about any problem you encounter. Some of themeven have a sense of humor!:p

Good luck on the paint job and glad to have you here at :SNSign:

Well if it already has the E cam in it, then try and find a usable set of GT40 or GT40P heads. That will give it a nice bump in HP. Key is to find heads that don't need a lot of work (valve job, etc) otherwise you are better off just getting a set of aluminum heads.

Think about the black interior long and hard before embarking down that road.
It can get very expensive unless you get a deal on an entire interior all at once.

Use latemodelrestoration.com for pricing new interior parts.
Black interior parts still fetch good money on ebay too.

Yea, some get it done cheap and find deals, but i'd say to do it right and 100% complete in today's market, you got to plan on spending $700 and up.
Hell, good door panels and the dash could cost $500 alone.

Well if it already has the E cam in it, then try and find a usable set of GT40 or GT40P heads. That will give it a nice bump in HP. Key is to find heads that don't need a lot of work (valve job, etc) otherwise you are better off just getting a set of aluminum heads.

I've got no idea what's inside my motor right now but I'll find out soon enough. I think once I finish working on the exterior, interior, and suspension I'll look for more power. I'm just trying to fix what's broke first.

Think about the black interior long and hard before embarking down that road.
It can get very expensive unless you get a deal on an entire interior all at once.

Use latemodelrestoration.com for pricing new interior parts.
Black interior parts still fetch good money on ebay too.

Yea, some get it done cheap and find deals, but i'd say to do it right and 100% complete in today's market, you got to plan on spending $700 and up.
Hell, good door panels and the dash could cost $500 alone.

The interior is kinda beat up so I'd really like to work on it. It's much better than my CRX was when I got it, but I want the mustang looking new so I'm looking at new parts. I've dealt with used parts on my last build and I didn't like it. Looks like I'll be selling my CRX real soon to pay for all this.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to start working on the car soon. We just got done epoxying the floor in the garage.

I'm a little late, but WELCOME!, and nice car. I haven't been here very long, but the guys here are a wealth of knowledge, and will help you on just about any problem you encounter. Some of themeven have a sense of humor!:p

Good luck on the paint job and glad to have you here at :SNSign:

Good to hear! I'm sure anything's better than honda-tech lol.