Boyd pleads no contest

StangDreamin' said:
Jay, when I posted that last time; I was quite blatantly trolling (hence the :D at the bottom of the post). However, I'm really :confused: about this one. A 60's vintage pony is torn down, repaired; one side or the other of 50% of the basic frame/chassis/unibody may be replaced; a 2000's vintage VIN is slapped on the nearly 40-year-old chassis/frame/unibody (or whatever is left of it); and it's represented as a 39-year-old car (even if it's only 38 - as in a '68 FB badged as a '67GT500E). And, with all of the assembly (manufacturing) taking place in the 2000's era, it's only subject to 67's emissions and safety regs - and it's being assembled and marketed by a for-profit commercial entity????
There are easily five times enough lawyers existant in the world today to give me pause at the thought of dreaming about purchasing one of these cars with the inherent liabilities.
Am I the only paranoid around here! (Shaddup, Fuzzy!)

EDIT: Don't get me wrong ; I'm still moving beyond the "Dreamin' " stages in grabbing the lonely old '67 coupe around-the-block; installing a sweet little Windsor with 5.0 MAF EFI, contemporary suspension, steering, brakes and creature comforts..... But it's not for-profit; it's for myself. Nobody is going to be responsible for it, only me.

I understood your perspective and was just clearing up the "who" part of your statement.

I don't think it's right what they're doing either!

IMO you can do whatever you want to the car, just leave the friggin' VIN alone!

• Sponsors (?)

I asked someone who managed a body shop once about when a vehicle ceases to be a vehicle and he couldn't tell me.He said his shop routinely replaces frames,truck cabs and other major parts and the vehicle retained the original vin.I asked my local insurance company and they said the vin was associated with the main body compartment.

When I registered my FFR Cobra (reproduction) I had to do a special registration in PA as a "Specialty Constructed" Vehicle. FFR issues a MSO (manufacturers Statement of Origin), and when I submitted my paperwork, I had to submit a detailed accounting of all money spent on purchases I did not pay tax on. I was issued a special identification plate with a new serial number. Also in PA, you can re-construct a wreck and get a new title in the same manner.

Basically, I think it comes down to the government getting the taxes it feels it's owed.

darkness falls said:
i still hate boyd, is his someone that takes credit for other people work.
I totally agree.Anybody can do what he does.Give me group of guys,a big cash flow and see what i come up with :D

He not even a designer,he has other artist do his renderings,unlike Fosse who I have total respect for and at least gets his hands dirty.

I saw him paint a car on the show one time!... ..

thats about the only time I saw him really show any skill, so I guess, there are some buried there.. :D

This whole argument about when the car ceases to be the car it was is interesting... I remember hearing that an "Auto salvage yard" couldnt sell entire cars, just parts... I wondered the same question with that... How much can I take before I'm taking "the car".....

That's true, actually Boyd started out as a machinist at Disneyland! But he has built some very nice cars in the past. I remember a '29 roadster he built around 1980 or so. The car was very nice, very well detailed and had a lot of hand-built parts. I also agree the guy is a jerk, but so is my boss and I don't get to work on cool cars all day...