The Thundercolt

• Sponsors (?)

another great story Mike.
I don't think I have ever expressed a dislike for mopars. my top two are 1970 Super Bee and 1971 Roadrunner. But, since this is a Mustang site that is what I try to discuss.

Yeah I ordinarily try to keep it brand specific here too, but the MOPAR guys came to roost when they found out that the story had one of their own in it , and it kinda drifted off course a little.

Damn MOPAR guys, they're like the pigeons that show up when you're outside eating french fries.:nonono:

cliffnotes?

Cliffsnotes:

I am older than you.

I Had a Mustang in 1979

I worked in a speed shop in 1979

I raced a kid that bought a bunch a junk from me while I worked in the speed shop in 1979.

I beat that kid with my Mustang back in 1979.

He paid me money.

I never saw him again.

Somehow, it seems,......lacking?:shrug:

Haha, nice story, Mike. Cracks me up that you painted "Thundercolt" on the side.

Have you ever posted pics of this car?

The lettering was done in that rainbow effect adhesive backed stuff. Back then we called it prism tape. It came in just about every width you needed it to be. My painter's wife was a sign painter, so she gave the letters an outline so they looked like they were professionally done.

Unfortunately, unless my mom took some picture w/ her kodak insta-matic,that I don't know of, I think the only place a picture of that car exists is in my head.
( Probably a good thing, 'cause by todays' standards, the hood scoop I had on it was hideous. It was made by Harwood. A Gi-honkin' "box" that Grumpy Jenkins ran on his Pro-Stock Vegas and Camaro's back then. It was called a Grump Lump.) It was about 9" high, and 40" long. I couldn't see the entire right side of the car. No telling how many kids I might've ran over.:shrug:

014-grumpy-lump.jpg

MY "fans" used to speculate at what was under that giant box, as I used to over hear that conversation a few times. Most thought that I had a tunnel ram, some thought it was a blower. In reality it was just air. I needed to cover the hole in the hood I had cut for the previous scoop, and this was big enough to do that. Besides Pro stock back then was pretty over the top cosmetically speaking, so It was really right at home............... .then:nonono:

Some one photoshop a 69 mach1 with a grump lump and Thundercolt plastered on it with the paint scheme madmike has laid out please. I need this to be visual as I ate a lot of sugary cereal when I was a kid and it put many holes in my brain. That and the drugs.