Brain Teaser

Notchbck93

Dec 9, 2003
IL
ok. Scenario time

I just installed a Mallory Hyfire VIA unit. Hooked it all up according to the schematic. Car misses from 2000 - 3000 rpm only.

I run stock ignition set up-- no miss.

I already have these components new
Wires, plugs, cap, rotor.

I checked base timing-- same with Mallory and same without

I don't have a nice dial gun might have to borrow my buddies to see if the timing is going goofy at 2-3 G rpm.

I just can't figure out why it purrs like a kitten through all rpms w/stock set up and not with the Mallory.

My rev limit is set at 6G and that works. I am just curious as to why only a certain rpm range this thing misses with the mallory and not stock.

any takers?

• Sponsors (?)

twolo4u2c2 said:
could be a bad coil unless it new also. I'v seen coils cause this kind of thing.

My buddy has a blaster coil.. I will borrow his and see if it stops the problem. This one really has me thrown for a loop, especially without a sun machine to monitor individual cylinder combustion.

I had the same problem with a msd ignition on mine and threw everything at it and nothing i changed ever fixed it. The problem was found by accident later when i was trying to make the underhood wiring look neat. The coil was mounted under the big cluster of wires that go to the starter solonoid and was picking up interfearance once the wires were relocated away from the coil the problem stopped. Hope this helps you. :nice:

silverstripes said:
I had the same problem with a msd ignition on mine and threw everything at it and nothing i changed ever fixed it. The problem was found by accident later when i was trying to make the underhood wiring look neat. The coil was mounted under the big cluster of wires that go to the starter solonoid and was picking up interfearance once the wires were relocated away from the coil the problem stopped. Hope this helps you. :nice:

I will give that a try. I have everything tucked under the lil black cover to make it look nice..

Thanks for the response.

brainteaser-mallory via box

the box may be bad. I had a brand new one from Summit and it went out and left my butt stranded in the middle of a car show cruise. Summit replaced it with no problem--its still in the box. plan on reinstalling when I finish up the new stroker motor to go in the car