Brake Fluid shelf life?

Bullitt347

I have been doing it wrong this whole time
15 Year Member
Mar 23, 2007
4,012
2,999
204
Middle of Maine
I got this can of brake fluid about 12 years ago.
It has been stored in a climate controlled garage ever since.
I see no "expiration date" on the can.
Would you use this brake fluid?

20260928_181921.webp


20260928_181935.webp


At the time the State of Washington decided that they could not have a brake fluid be any color other than a clear/yellow.
This stuff is Blue. I think they were afraid of people thinking it was washer fluid or something stupid like that.
It was used primarily in road race applications, typically we would use it in Lotus Elise/Exige that saw a lot of track duty/open track events.
The State was making all the shops that had it dump it out and we were not allowed to use/sell it.
I "stole" this can and took it home and have had it ever since.
Thinking of using it in my Drag Race Mustang as the fluid is rated for very high temps.
What say you?
Use it or dump it.
 
If it's not been opened I'd guess that you'd probably be alright. But if it's been opened I may be hesitant. Humidity can affect it since brake fluid is hygroscopic, so it would depend on how well the can's seal protected it. :shrug:
Original, unopened.
I suppose I could open it and see how it looks. But don't want to do that until I am actually ready to use it.
The can shows no rust/corrosion on the outside. I imagine the inside is just as well preserved.
 
  • Like
Reactions: LILCBRA
  • Like
Reactions: LILCBRA
Yeah....you're gonna bet your life, limb and the cost of your ride on 10 year old brake fluid ?
DOT 3 or 4 will work in your car, major difference is 4 has a higher boiling point vrs the 3 and the 3 will absorb less moisture than 4.
Street car you won't know the difference.
10 year old brake fluid is a no-go for me don't care what color it is.
 
  • PlusOne
Reactions: 91AOD5.0LX