Brake Light Issues with Car I'm looking at...can anyone help?

mlb585

May 22, 2010
Hey everyone. I went to take a look at a 94 GT with a lot of miles today. Everything looked ok but I hen checking all the electronics and such, my wife and I noticed that the brake lights didn't work. The rear lights did come on when I turned on the headlights...the turn signals and reverse lights work...but the brake lights don't work when you pump the brakes. I also noticed that the fog lights didn't work on the car either but I wasn't sure if there was another switch for the fogs (i'm more of a fox-body mustang person and this would be my first 94/95 GT). I didn't get to check the fuse box but I did get to look at the 3rd breaklight bulbs and they seemed fine. The dealer thinks it's just the bulbs are bad (since they are two brightness levels) but I think it's something else. What does everyone think it could be or where to look first to find out what's wrong. I really need help on this asap because I'm supposed to go to see the car tomorrow after their mechanic looks at it. Thanks in advance for the help! -Matt

• Sponsors (?)

If all fuses are good and if all three brake lights are out, I'd look at the brake switch (check the in/out voltage). Sometimes the wires get chafed or squished, causing a short to ground.

There is a fog light relay in the underhood fusebox. Someone might have removed it. It's kind of a pain to pull the fog light switch to check continuity.

Good luck.

It's not too much of a pain. Just remove the center console compartment liner and reach into the console and pop it out that way. Easy as pie. :)

I agree that it's not difficult for an owner to do. However, if someone is having to ask, they probably are not savvy with testing or accessing the switch, especially on a car that is not in their custody. I would not waste the time in that situation.

Thanks for the replies. From what I saw, the couple bulbs I looked at looked fine. I think it may be the brake switch near the pedal or the fuse...other than that i'm not sure what it could be. I think it may be worth it to buy the car and fix it. But the small car dealer said they can't sell the car if their is safety equipment not working...so he will try to fix/diagnose it in the mean time. There are other little things wrong with it....the clock doesn't work, needs new struts/shocks, has a very small front and rear main oil seal leak (also looks to be leaking a little on the back driver's side valve cover and a little oil on the top of the timing cover area around where the distributor goes in, passenger door lock actuator is broken and there is a hole in the driver's seat. Otherwise, the car is in really nice shape and the price is right....what does everyone think I should do?....should I pull the trigger and get it?!

**PS...I don't want to feel stupid but where is the foglight switch on these cars??