Brake upgrade questions?(prolly gonna answere myself)

140CILX-Coupe

Mar 30, 2005
Instead of the 5lug conversion like everyone does I want to stick with 4 lug.

So I was thinking something like this.

The SVO front break package from MM and upgraded rotors with the steeda 4 Lug rear disk conversion.

will it work or is this just 5:30 am nonsence?

• Sponsors (?)

If you put on SVO front calipers (73mm) you HAVE to get a bigger master cylinder. Especially if you do rear disc also. And I mean bigger than a 5.0 MC, you need one from a '93 Cobra or maybe from an SVO. You can get them at the parts store but it'll take a little work to make them fit. Tells ya how right here...

http://www.svo73mm.cjb.net

And I dunno how much the steeda rear disc conversion is but I bet it'd be cheaper to swap to a turbo coupe rear axle. Just some food for thought.

yeah well the svo front calaper kit rfrom MM is only 250 something which isent to bad it comes with the calapers the master cyclinder and some hose stuff.

I know it would be cheaper to go with the TC rear but when it comes to used stuff iam a stickler for if its gonna last me or not.

Iam one of them ppl that would rather have new for fear of it breaking apart 20 miles down the road...

when i get around to doing a turbo swap iam rebuilding the whole motor...the head oh i dont even want to think if theres cracks in it...

Wow....MM wants $80 for a new SVO master cylinder? You know you can get a brand new one of those at the parts store for $40, right? You can also get remanufactured SVO calipers with the phenolic piston for $40 each, or with the steel piston for $45 each (which I didn't even know about until I looked just now)

Uh yeah, exactly? That's why it makes more sense to get the stuff from the parts store. Even if you ordered their SVO master cylinder adapter kit for $45 (which I'm fairly sure you can get all those adapters at the parts store...I found most of them at napa today), and got the MC and calipers from a parts store, you'd still come in $75 under what they're asking.

True but I cant alwase get to a compitent parts store.

I live in the sticks and the clostest parts/service shop is in town and I wouldent trust jack **** from them.

I would trust a 5 y/o with a loaded gun than them ppl

good eye though, on another board that I go to one guys got a 4 lug TC rear end and he sais that its damn near close to what steeda sells for the read disk 4 lug kit.

I thought the TC rear ends were a we bit longer than a fox?

Like RedLX said, the masters are about half that price at local auto parts. The $139 on the calipers is good if they're loaded calipers. If they're unloaded, that price is way high!

I did that swap on my '89 'vert. TC 11" rotors, 73mm calipers, '95 GT master cylinder and the complete TC 8.8 rear w/discs. Yeah, the rearends are the same width, you just swap in the 7.5 Mustang axles and your good to go. I did it all fairly cheaply except for one caveat. I had to buy offset caliper brackets for the rear and they were $150!

Oh well, it's worth it. Right before I tore it down, I had to make a panic stop on the freeway with the stock brakes. It's a good thing I was in the fast lane! I was able to swerve into the center median area. By the time the Mustang came to a halt, I had slid past 7 stopped cars!! That pretty much convinced me to do a 4-wheel disc brake swap! :rlaugh:

As soon as I can find a booster, I want to convert my TC over to non-abs vacuum boosted brakes (mine are f'ed up). While I'm at it I'm swapping to an '85 Lincoln Town Car 1" bore master cylinder, and 73mm front calipers that I've had sitting around forever. Should be a slight improvement :)

yeah thats kinda why iam afraied to take my car past 65mph and even then iam still asking for trouble.

esp sence the passrear drum brake likes to stick from time to time i want to just remove it but i dont know.