Break in oil in a Roller cam 302

I " think" I just read something about Rotella reducing their Zinc content recently...

First question is about t6 but there reply "Most Shell Rotella engine oils, including T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil, contain approximately 1200 ppm of zinc which will benefit older and high-performance engines." Pretty much anything the sell for "older" formulations is still 1200ppm

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

First question is about t6 but there reply "Most Shell Rotella engine oils, including T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil, contain approximately 1200 ppm of zinc which will benefit older and high-performance engines." Pretty much anything the sell for "older" formulations is still 1200ppm
Curious how old the information might be on those FAQ questions? I looked for dates but could not find any...
Low sulfur fuel, newer exhaust filters and DEF fluid have changed diesel oils ( or so I have read), just like cats have done with gas cars...

A roller 302 will run on pretty much anything. I wouldn’t put too much worry into exactly what it is, but conventional oil is recommended for initial ring break in.

As long as there is oil in the engine, it’ll work.

limp,

limp,

Hey, thanks alot, that answers some questions.... Always liked kendall, it was just always hard to find...
NEVER liked Pennzoil.. Saw way to many blue smoke oil burners using Pennzoil....

Hey, thanks alot, that answers some questions.... Always liked kendall, it was just always hard to find...
NEVER liked Pennzoil.. Saw way to many blue smoke oil burners using Pennzoil....
If looking for a higher end oil, I always tend to recommend and use vr1. It’s super common, and has extra zinc if that’s what you’re looking for. I’ve ran it for years in street cars and it’s always done me good.

If looking for a higher end oil, I always tend to recommend and use vr1. It’s super common, and has extra zinc if that’s what you’re looking for. I’ve ran it for years in street cars and it’s always done me good.
I used VR1 in my dodge, never had a problem.....
No, I was just curious what people had to say about using a break in oil on my new roller engine....
I will probably use Castrol 10-30 syn after the break in.....
DSCF0903.JPG

Last edited:
You can still get break in oil 50 years after the 70's...