Brembo or Wilwood

rellic50

May 12, 2005
I'm looking in upgrading my brakes to one of these kits . I want to know what are the pros's and con's on both kits . i like the wilwood cause of the 6 piston calipers , but I hear a lot of people love there Brembo set up . The reason I'm upgrading is I just did a Cobra caliper / Decela rotor's upgrade on my GT and am very disappointed in the braking .

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Pages/03/index.asp

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...42605QQitemZ8070783350QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I'm not concern with the price difference , I just want what works best with out spending 3000 dollars for brakes .

• Sponsors (?)

I would personally choose the Wilwood kit. I've eyed that kit for a while. Like you mentioned, it has 6-piston calipers, two more than the Brembo kit. The rotors are 2-piece compared to Brembo's one-piece. And that Wilwood one only costs $1400, not that much more than the Brembo. Of course, my opinion is purely from a theoretical standpoint since I haven't used either kit.

You might also want to check the wheel clearance requirement of the Wilwood kit. It seems to be a bit larger than the Brembo kit.

The difference between the two kits and the stock Cobra setup isn't going to be much on one-time stopping. They may all be within 10 feet of each other. The strenghts of the brembos and wilwoods won't be realized unless you do multiple repeated hard stops, and then the stock cobra will start the fade.

But the Cobra setup is pretty aggressive and more than enough for the street. WHat disappoints you in the setup? WHat sort of pads are you running? The Decla rotors are more for show than actual performance. The stock 99+ Brembo rotor and an aggressive pad will make a huge difference.

I don't know if you do any open track racing or not with the car, but if it's a street car you won't notice a $3000 difference between the CObra setup and the bigger aftermarket setups. It will just be slightly better on the street