Broken Drivers Seat

Rjaaaaaa

Jul 11, 2016
So some time ago I asked about what has been found to be the problem with the drivers seat back being broken and leaning back while sitting and no one came up with an answer as to what the problem was and how to fix it.
I'm having trouble finding a reasonably priced engine wiring harness so I decided to tackle the seat problem while is was waiting and looking.
After removing the seat you will find a zipper on the bottom of the seatback. see photo #1 Unzip this zipper, remove the trim around the seat back latch. Unbolt the seat back from the lower seat.
Once you have done all this you can pull some of the seat cover up to expose some of the frame and foam padding. down in the bottom of the seat back in the foam you will see 2 - 1/8" rods with an L shape with hog ring slid over them. These rods are slid up in a slot sewed into the inside of the seatback cover and hold the seat cover tight and back into the foam, Remove the rings, slide them off the end, and now you can slide these rod out from the bottom, 3/4 of the way up you will find another rod going horizontally across the seat back, these are held under the vertical rods and must be put behind them when the vertical rods are reinstalled.
Once the v. rods are removed the seat cover can be slid up to the top and out of the way, this exposes the full seat back frame and the crack in mine that was causing my seat left side to give way when leaned on. ( I'm guessing that a lot of body English has been used over the past 30 year when shifting into second gear).
So I welded up the crack in the frame but to ensure that it wouldn't happen again I fabricated a gusset plate out of heavy sheet metal almost 1/8" thick and welded it over the top off the cracked area. That should hold it for another 30 years of banging gears.
pull the seat cover back down and reinstall the rods by sliding them up into the seat cover, be certain to make sure that the horizontal rod across the top are pushed under the v. rods, continue to pull the seat cover tight and rezip it.
Reinstall the seat back to the seat bottom and put it back in the car.
I hope this will help some others because I know this is a problem with many foxbodies.

Attachments

• DSCN0033a.JPG
    DSCN0033a.JPG
    488.8 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCN0036a.JPG
    DSCN0036a.JPG
    710 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN0037.JPG
    DSCN0037.JPG
    256.3 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCN0040a.JPG
    DSCN0040a.JPG