• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Broken Valve Spring?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jeremyhemphill
  • Start date Start date May 10, 2017
J

Jeremyhemphill

New Member
May 10, 2017
4
0
1
May 10, 2017
#1
  • May 10, 2017
  • #1
I have an 03 gt. 4.6. Before when I would go WOT. From 1st gear it would rev to 6000 rpms before shifting and it would take off like a bullet. Now I have a loss of power. The engine sounds different like it's diverting air somewhere it shouldn't or something. That's the best way to describe the sound. And if I go WOT it doesn't accel nearly like it should and won't go over 4000 rpms. And the rpms hang there. Tried new MAF. New EGR and new TPS. All to no avail. I'm convinced it's an engine issue due to the way it sounds now. I checked all my shift solenoids with the snap on scan tool at my shop and there is no fault in any of them. No engine codes. And it does miss at high engine speeds. And sometimes at idle. Weird sound coming from intake also. But it's not consistent. Totally random. Need some onsite any help would be great. I'm tearing the valve covers off it a couple days when I have time. I hope i find a weak or broken spring. Seems like I'm getting valve float or one is just stuck. Thanks.


Jeremy
 

COramprat

...I can take it. I think.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 2, 2003
8,474
1,463
223
Sea of Tranquility
May 10, 2017
#2
  • May 10, 2017
  • #2
How about the coils? I get random misfire when I get water in the plug wells. I'd pull the coils and plugs 1st and see if there is something amiss there.
 
J

Jeremyhemphill

New Member
May 10, 2017
4
0
1
May 10, 2017
#3
  • May 10, 2017
  • #3
COramprat said:
How about the coils? I get random misfire when I get water in the plug wells. I'd pull the coils and plugs 1st and see if there is something amiss there.
Click to expand...
Wouldn't a bad coil throw and engine code though?
 
J

Jeremyhemphill

New Member
May 10, 2017
4
0
1
May 10, 2017
#4
  • May 10, 2017
  • #4
Jeremyhemphill said:
Wouldn't a bad coil throw and engine code though?
Click to expand...
Also it doesn't miss at idle all the time. Only after I try to lay on it will it miss fire at idle. But I did get a cylinder 6 miss fire code along with random miss fire.. p0300 I think it was. And the coil tested good. They were both memory codes. So still no light on. But after clearing the codes the light still doesn't come on. I suppose it's worth a shot to check them all. I need to do plugs anyway. Just wanna make sure there's not a more drastic issue.. thanks for your insight my friend.
 

COramprat

...I can take it. I think.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 2, 2003
8,474
1,463
223
Sea of Tranquility
May 12, 2017
#5
  • May 12, 2017
  • #5
Jeremyhemphill said:
Wouldn't a bad coil throw and engine code though?
Click to expand...
If it is a dead miss, yes. Mine will get a ramdom miss and not throw a code.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Fox Valve Spring Kit PAC-1219X. Help finding needed additional parts.
  • 93gtmustang
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
371
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 31, 2026
93gtmustang
Ford truck engine swap issues
  • keel
  • Jul 7, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
17
Views
536
Other Auto Tech Jul 13, 2026
General karthief
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
280
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
K
88 speed density misfire and bucking
  • kush
  • May 29, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
9
Views
299
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 8, 2026
DadLife0724
W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
217
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?