Building an audiophile system.

While I was searching for the Alpins I ran across a set of Eclipse 3-way components. I have heard these before and the sound was awesom! :drool: I can modify the factory teeter opening to house the mid and tweeter. I am debating about it right now. The auction ends in four hours and they are at $105 right now + $22 for shipping. These are $680 components though. Crap, I wouldnt of bought the tires this morning had I of seen these first :(

Eclipse SC8365 6-1/2" Component Systems Car Speakers Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix

are those the ones? if so thats a hell of a deal

• Sponsors (?)

I personally think you should have spent that money on fixing the HREs but boston makes top notch stuff and I have had infinity kappas in three of my rides and they all sounded sick.
Little secret. *whispers* I didnt care for the HREs. Dont tell anyone though. They just didnt match the car. They look better on a Ferrari or 350Z :shrug: I only kept them so long cause they were HREs. When I bought the car I was planning on selling them anyway :nice:

So what did u end up getting?
The only thing I have ordered so far is the sub. I will order the components and amp and deck when I get my tax refund. Unless some super killer deal pops up on some components :shrug:

I am thinking about the Alpine type R but prolly will get the others I was talking about. Havent decided yet :shrug:

I believe the Boston SL60s will be the speaker I go with. I like them alot and know they sound how i would like. In my Mustang they were a bit harsh (tweeters) at high volumes but in the Mark they will be aimed differently and a much better amp will be driving them so the only gripe I had about them should be negated :shrug:

I believe the Boston SL60s will be the speaker I go with. I like them alot and know they sound how i would like. In my Mustang they were a bit harsh (tweeters) at high volumes but in the Mark they will be aimed differently and a much better amp will be driving them so the only gripe I had about them should be negated :shrug:

ooo, the sl series is a good line of speakers. good choice.

ooo, the sl series is a good line of speakers. good choice.
I had them in my 89GT and thought they were killer. They were clean and loud and very detailed. I sold them and bought MB Quart Premiums ( I worked at a sound shop so I was always changing something) and drove the Quarts off a much better amp. I was truley dissapointed how the Quarts sounded compared to the Bostons. The highs are more crisp with the SLs over the "Z" series but a bit more hars. Other then that they sound the same so I guess thats the route I will go :shrug: I may get a good outboard EQ down the road, like an Audio Controll EQT or something :nice:

Hey guys, I keep flip flopping around.
What would you choose?
Alpine Type X 6.5" Components $175
Boston Acoustics SL60 Components $160
Infinity Kappa 680.9 6x8 components $130

I have never heard the Alpins before but I remember installing many type S and type R coaxials and they were way better then their competition we sold (Concept, Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer and the Quart Co-ax) :shrug:

Hey guys, I keep flip flopping around.
What would you choose?
Alpine Type X 6.5" Components $175
Boston Acoustics SL60 Components $160
Infinity Kappa 680.9 6x8 components $130

I have never heard the Alpins before but I remember installing many type S and type R coaxials and they were way better then their competition we sold (Concept, Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer and the Quart Co-ax) :shrug:

as i said before...the 6x8's are out....not a round speaker. bostons are great speakers, as are alpines, they are MUCH better than their price hints them to be. but because you are running a sub i am going to have to say the alpines. aluminum cone speakers in general dont hit quite as low as a paper or composite cone, so you will have a good mix of low mids and highs. even though i havent heard the "x" tweeters before, if the "r" tweeters are anything to go by, they are crisp while still being smooth.

if you can find them cheap enough i reccomend these.
Diamond Audio S600s-07 6-1/2" Component Systems Car Speakers Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix
they are by far THE BEST sounding speakers i have ever heard in my life.

Sound waves arent round, they are waves. If they were round, they wouldnt be waves.
The problem with oval speakers is from 1.5K to 4Khz they get second and third order harmonics that can cancel out some frequencies and boost others makeing them hard to balence in the upper midrange frequencies. Because of their mounting location it becomes a non issue as they will reflect off the dashboard and will have other sound issues I have to tune for. The reason oval speakers work well in cars is beacuse with all the angles and refective surfaces in alot of cases will work with the speakers issues and result in correct sound.

I have heard the Diamonds and dont like them :shrug:
Now the Alpines have a $499 msrp and the Bostons are $379 msrp. Eaither one will run me $175 beacuse with the Bostons I have to spend another $10-$15 for the 6x8 adapter that the Alpines come with.
I have no doubt the Alpines will have more bass kick but can they respond (attack and decay) as quickly and produce drums as accuratly. And the highs should be just as crisp but will they be harsh as well? I wish there was someplace around here I could go listen to them :(

The ONLY reason I am looking at the Alpines is because you recommended them. While I have installed them (other series) on numerous occasions and know they sound good I guess they didnt strike me hard enough to say "Hey, Im gonna get thoes next"
And I have been through ALOT of speakers. Just some of the fronts I have had: Infinity Kappa;Refrence;Beta;Kappa Uniplane, Boston SX;SL;S;Pro, Rockford Series1;Punch;Power;P1,2,3, OZ Audio, Clarion Pro Audio, Concept, ADS, Nakamichi, MB Quart Premium;Discus;Refrence, Kenwood Excelon, Soundstream SPL;Refrence, Audiobahn 6.3Pro, Crystal Titaniums, Diamond, Advant etc etc.
I have heard them all but save for a few.

If I could build my own I would get a pair of Infinity Beta 6.5" Midbass, Dyna Audio 3" dome midrange and Infinity Kappa EMIT tweeter with a MB Quart Pro Comp 3-way x-over. :drool:
It would sound so freakin good! But alas I cannot find any of thoes components any more :(

Well the sub showed up today. Man its a pretty impressive piece too :nice:
I have installed alot of subs over the years but the build on this thing is quite acceptional. Its totally field servaceable and has some nice touches like the sewn in voice coil leads.
IMGP1009.jpg

View attachment 276349

Attachments

• IMGP1009.jpg
    IMGP1009.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 86
Just scored a brand new set of Boston SL60's for $75! :banana:

JACKPOT!!!

i just read your post about all the speakers you have tried. and damn thats quite a list. i have also heard my fair share of speakers, but not that many. i understand that sound waves are not round, but in my experience, as you turn up the volume an oval speaker tends to distort more as the speaker cone kind of "folds".

sounds like you know what you are doing, so i will no longer interject.

that sub looks really nice too!!

Interject all you want! :rlaugh: I have done at least 1000 installs and its nice cause you get to hear alot of different speakers out there :nice: I am a Boston fan though and like their studio quality sound. Also for drum repoduction I dont think Bostons can be beat :shrug:
But that was a total score! My last set I bought at cost and that was still $168! :eek: This was another case of the speaker being in the wrong section so they were ignored.
Its funny cause I saw an ad for Infinity Kappa "Ultra Performance" speakers. I thought it was some rare limited Infinitys so I checked out the auction. Dude is a total tool! They are the old green 5x7 coaxial Kappas and they are ruined too. Dude started the auction at $325 :eek: They were only $80 new and they were not that hot :nonono:
Here is the link :rlaugh: http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-Kappa-...ryZ14936QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem