BURNOUT QUESTION!!

• Sponsors (?)

I've talked to more than one person that says all you need to do to avoid wearing out your rear brakes is to tap your brakes while doing the burnout if you feel the car shifting some or moving forward. It only takes about 5 seconds to get the tires fully heat cycled so you should hardly have to use the rear brakes while burning out.

kirkyg

Step 1 - Turn off traction control
Step 2 - Rev to 5 grand
Step 3 - Drop clutch in first gear, Lightly don't let it snap. That will
break things. Just kinda let off of it quickly but maintain
pressure on it. DON'T JUST SLIP YOUR FOOT TO THE SIDE.
Step 4 - When tires are spinning, STAND ON THE BRAKE AND GAS AS HARD
AS YOU CAN.
Step 5 - When you have had enough, let off brake and powershift to
2nd, @$$ end will fishtail and will leave a blackie for a hundred
feet.
Step 6 - Avoid the authorities.

What's the difference between the regular braking and power braking, answer: Nothing. They are both just the brake disk spinning while the pads are clampin'. It is just as much abuse standing on the brakes burning out as when I hit the brakes doing a buck 110 and see a cop. Same deal. I have a 2000 GT with 23,000 miles and mechanic said brakes are a ok. I have gone through 6 sets of back tires. Just to let you know my miles/burnout ratio. They are all hot stinky smokey ones on Main street too. I'll ahve to post a pic of the 4 way in our town. Only one 4 way in town.

Well.. as far as us Automatic guys go.. just step on the brakes slightly enough to where you're not rolling and floor it? Or rev up slowly? Whenever I try to burnout in my Automatic (03 GT) only 1 tire will burn.. and I have no clue why.. maybe trac was on.. but I'm almost sure I turned it off.. :shrug:

HogStang said:
Well.. as far as us Automatic guys go.. just step on the brakes slightly enough to where you're not rolling and floor it? Or rev up slowly? Whenever I try to burnout in my Automatic (03 GT) only 1 tire will burn.. and I have no clue why.. maybe trac was on.. but I'm almost sure I turned it off.. :shrug:

How many miles do you have on it? If you're doing 1 wheel peels, your limited slip differential may need to be rebuilt.

first of all, doing a burnout with a car that has anti-lock brakes is pretty crappy for the car...to say the least, it confuses the hell out of the computer and pretty much maxes out the pressure of your brakes (lines etc...) not too good at all without a line lock..not to say i havn't/ we havn't done it... as for the one wheel peel... if you have an auto like myslef... if you hold the brakes too much before you start giving it gas to break 'em loose, you might cause an imbalance in braking from either side... aka locking up one side while the other one burns out, or atleast do this enough for the clutches in the diff to start spinning...this used to happen to me, but if i just give it enough brake to barely stop the car (almost letting it roll a little bit before i know both tires are spinning) then give it more brake to hold the car, i can get a great big smokey burnout :D and this is with 95 K miles on my original differential... basic rule of thumb.. dont give it any more brake than it needs

LOL, everyones like "rev it to 5K and dump the clutch" ...I have done a few burnouts and really just rev to 3K and dump the clutch/floor it, then quickly put a light pressure on the breaks, if it rolls push harder, if the car is stopped but starts going sideways push the breaks harder until it stops. Once the tires get going, back off the gas and hold 4500RPMs in 1st gear. Heck I have even done a burnout from practically off idle(1200-1500RPS), and pushed the gas down and it lit up...it was not on purpose though, let out of the clutch really right before I started to rev.

GinoGT said:
Don't stand on the brakes as hard as you can. :nonono: Unless you like swapping pads and rotors. :notnice:
true.....hold just enough pressure to hold the car, but not too mush or you will smoke your rear brakes. I recomend that you dont even do this yet...just find a wide ope parkinglot or long, wide street and drop the clutch in 1st gear and let the car do its thing...as you get more experienced and can predict what the car is going to do, try ne things, like turning the wheel and do a doughnut or try a brake stand.
WARNING: once you do it right and make some nice smoke, it will become extremely addictive.

BTW....how old are you? people are scared to do this? I was 16 when i bought my car...never driven a rwd car before and the first thing i did when i pulled out of the dealer was leave a nice pair of black streaks down the block. :banana: