Buying 67 conv, need help w/ missing VIN

LPMM

Jul 26, 2005
LA, CA
I saw a 67 convertible for sale on line and I am interested in purchasing it. Unfortunately it is not in the same State I live in. I called the owner, and through the discussion we started talking about the VIN. He said that the door plate is missing and that the previous owner had his State issue a "special number" that was then put on the title. Is there a way to verify anything, does this seem weird? Could I run into trouble registering the car in my State (California)? Any help is appreciated.

EDIT:
I just spoke to the current owner after reading the posts. He says that the title matches a tag that the State of Washington riveted on the vehicle on the inner fender, driver's side by the shock mount. The tage says: : "Assigned Identification Number from the State of Washington" and the number is 7R03D196377 (I tried to run the decoder thing and no engine option D). My guess is that the fender was replaced at one time and therefore the original stamped VIN wasn't there anymore. Anyone run into this? Still worth considering or am I looking at future problems?

• Sponsors (?)

LPMM said:
I saw a 67 convertible for sale on line and I am interested in purchasing it. Unfortunately it is not in the same State I live in. I called the owner, and through the discussion we started talking about the VIN. He said that the door plate is missing and that the previous owner had his State issue a "special number" that was then put on the title. Is there a way to verify anything, does this seem weird? Could I run into trouble registering the car in my State (California)? Any help is appreciated.

Rule out the possibility that it has been painted over. I thought my data plate was missing until I looked long and hard and found that one of the POs had just painted over it.

The door plate is NOT legal for registration, no matter what it says. Only the underfender (sp?) VIN is legal for title. The title VIN must match this VIN.

Have him send pics of the fender VIN, along with a copy of the title. If they do not match, run far away.

Don't know of 'special numbers,' but from my experiences with VINs and registration in the DPR of Kalifornia, they are quite strict on this sort of thing and won't hesitate to toss you out of the DMV office if ANYTHING is fishy.

I agree...the door vin wont count because its too easy to swap out a door. I believe that Marti Autoworks can repring door tags for your if you own the car. Make sure the drivers fender support vin matches the vin behind the windsheild. Hell, in tx you can get a vin restamped if its gone but you ahve a title for it.

the 67 had the vin stamped 4 times under the hood but only shows in one spot at the drivers side fender there is a little notch in the fender to uncover the vin stamped in the inner fender sheet metal its in the same spot on the other side and also under the fender near the cowl on the same top panel where the fender bolts too
so if u really want to know make him loosen the fender and look for those stampings

67efivert said:
the 67 had the vin stamped 4 times under the hood but only shows in one spot at the drivers side fender there is a little notch in the fender to uncover the vin stamped in the inner fender sheet metal its in the same spot on the other side and also under the fender near the cowl on the same top panel where the fender bolts too
so if u really want to know make him loosen the fender and look for those stampings

He probably won't be willing to loosen the fender fo fear of damaging the paint, but I can always try. If the VIN doesn't show on the inner fender by the shock mount, I suspect this is a replacement fender and therefore won't have any stamping. Did you mean that if he loosens the fender, the VIN is stamped on the cowl portion? It seems to be a nice car from talking to him and seeing pictures, but my inclination is to wait and keep looking. I am having a friend look at it this weekend since it is out of state for me, anything he should look for?

If a car's VIN is deemed suspect by some states they will issue their own VIN. The format of this VIN varies from state to state. There does not even have to be a good reason for the VIN issuance - might just be an ignorant state employee who thinks that the car should have a windshield VIN and is suspicious because it doesn't (or something like that).

However, states usually issue VIN because of the original is missing or it doesn't match other VINs on the car or the car was totalled by an insurance company. Even if you find the original VIN of the car it is unlikely that that state will issue you a title with the original numbers.

Probably the only way to get the car titled with the original VIN would be to take off the special VIN tag and throw away the title and start all over in another state like it is a car without a title.

In any case, it is a car I would avoid.

68RCodeConv said:
If a car's VIN is deemed suspect by some states they will issue their own VIN. The format of this VIN varies from state to state. There does not even have to be a good reason for the VIN issuance - might just be an ignorant state employee who thinks that the car should have a windshield VIN and is suspicious because it doesn't (or something like that).

However, states usually issue VIN because of the original is missing or it doesn't match other VINs on the car or the car was totalled by an insurance company. Even if you find the original VIN of the car it is unlikely that that state will issue you a title with the original numbers.

Probably the only way to get the car titled with the original VIN would be to take off the special VIN tag and throw away the title and start all over in another state like it is a car without a title.

In any case, it is a car I would avoid.
I'm with 68RCodeConv if you can not fint the vin in the correct location it might be a clip car etc and somthing to avoid. look close at the inner fender and the fram rails to see if it is a repair. my car has a vin on the left inner fender and the right fender if it is removed and on the body buck tag but no door tag " lost when door was replased due to dent 12 years ago":bang: :bang:

If you cannot find a valid VIN I'd walk away, if the seller is not willing to look for it that sounds like a warning siren to me. Too much risk that it has been stolen if you ask me. The one issued by the state of Washington might be fine if you lived there, other states probably wont recognize it, but you should check with your local authorities first. Obtaining a "salvage title" is possible but you still need to know the original one.