C-clip eliminators or not

stangboy

Founding Member
Aug 31, 1999
New Orleans, LA
Hey guys I'm in the process of building my car and I'm getting my parts list together. At the moment I'm making a parts list for my rearend. Here it is. Tell me if you think I really NEED to get the c-clip eliminator kit or not.
Eaton Posi Dif. 362-19588-010 -- 31-spline
Moser 31-spline 5-lug axles
Ford Racing Aluminum dif. girdle
ARP wheel studs

I'm thinking, with these parts I don't really have to worry too much about breaking an axle. What do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

Unless you are into hardcore racing, i'd forgo the c clip eliminators.
They are a bit of a hassle with little benefit for a street car.

Probably take super sticky tires heated to perfection and 800hp to break one of those moser axles.

The moser axles will probably come with cold hardened studs, so you shouldn't need to replace them. BUT make sure to have the proper length, mine came with 3 in studs which sometimes are required for racing, but don't work well with lug nuts and street rims. Something i learned the hard way, lug nuts bottomed out, which backed out the stud, then i moved the car, doh.

That's what I was thinking. I don't ever plan to use slicks and the car won't get much track time...and I don't think the motor I'm building will make 800hp at the wheels. When I spray it it MIGHT make 600rwhp.

Unless you are into hardcore racing, i'd forgo the c clip eliminators.
They are a bit of a hassle with little benefit for a street car.

Probably take super sticky tires heated to perfection and 800hp to break one of those moser axles.

The moser axles will probably come with cold hardened studs, so you shouldn't need to replace them. BUT make sure to have the proper length, mine came with 3 in studs which sometimes are required for racing, but don't work well with lug nuts and street rims. Something i learned the hard way, lug nuts bottomed out, which backed out the stud, then i moved the car, doh.
not really... ive seen plenty of cars break 31 spline axles behind a stick.

for what its worth id do 9" ends over c clip elems. less prone to leaks

not really... ive seen plenty of cars break 31 spline axles behind a stick.

for what its worth id do 9" ends over c clip elems. less prone to leaks

Id do this as well, if not go with a c-clip elim. If you break an axle the eliminator ill keep it retained and not allow it to come out of the tube and do major damage.

Im running a rearend special in the vendor section if your interested let me know. The Moser studs will be fine, and they can come in 1.5" or 3" length

While i understand the reasoning that you guys have, doesn't sound like he's strapping slicks on any time soon and doing many 5000rpm launches.

Saying he needs c clip eliminators is like saying everyone needs c clip eliminators.
I think they should be used a little more on a case by case basis, not just a blanket statement.

Me personally, unless this is a car that is more track than street i still wouldn't bother.
I've yet to seen anyone break an axle on the street (not that it hasn't happened, just saying i haven't seen it). Heard of stock 4 lug studs shearing off but that's about it.

While i understand the reasoning that you guys have, doesn't sound like he's strapping slicks on any time soon and doing many 5000rpm launches.

Saying he needs c clip eliminators is like saying everyone needs c clip eliminators.
I think they should be used a little more on a case by case basis, not just a blanket statement.

Me personally, unless this is a car that is more track than street i still wouldn't bother.
I've yet to seen anyone break an axle on the street (not that it hasn't happened, just saying i haven't seen it). Heard of stock 4 lug studs shearing off but that's about it.

did you miss the part about spraying it?

did you miss the part about spraying it?
Nope, did you miss the part where he says he's never using slicks and rarely seeing track time?
Even if he was trying to break a moser axle on the street with drag radials that would be a tall order at any power level.

Not everyone is building a race car.

He also said "might" see 600rwhp, so i'm guessing at this point he has no supercharger and whatever setup he has will make max 450rwhp NA. So to get to the 600rwhp would take a very serious amount of nitrous, likely more than someone that doesn't go to the track often would use.

i get not everyone is building a race car but if your going to throw nitrous to it which hits harder then ANY power adder out there. even having a good drag radial on it you stand the chance of snapping an axle is it wheel hops catches a pot hole wrong under WOT on the bottle.

ZERO chance id leave the C clip axles in there for that. only reason i still have stock ranger axles in mine was i ran out of money to play with last year. when i do the rear again or snap an axle i will go 33's or 35's and 9 inch ends. better safe then sorry

i get not everyone is building a race car but if your going to throw nitrous to it which hits harder then ANY power adder out there. even having a good drag radial on it you stand the chance of snapping an axle is it wheel hops catches a pot hole wrong under WOT on the bottle.

ZERO chance id leave the C clip axles in there for that. only reason i still have stock ranger axles in mine was i ran out of money to play with last year. when i do the rear again or snap an axle i will go 33's or 35's and 9 inch ends. better safe then sorry

I get what you are saying and i am usually a fan of overkill, just not in this instance.
I drive a car that makes pretty good power and i'd find it unlikely that the tires hold on the street with 600rwhp, considering mine makes 100 less and i can let the tires loose at will. Not to mention the hit will make the tires even less likely to stick.
And if he's squeezing a 200 shot on the street in less than optimal conditions such as on a road that has pot holes, he's got alot more issues to worry about than breaking an axle.

If this were a track car with slicks or drag radials, i'd say for sure use them, but since it's not, i just don't see the benefit. I've never not even once (and i've been in this hobby a long time) seen or knew anyone that broke a 31 spline axle on the street, i don't even think i know anyone that broke a stock 4 lug axle on on the street. Lugs yes, axles, no.
As i said before, doesn't mean it have never happend, just saying i've never seen any proof to justfiy the upgrade and leaks.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll see how much money I have left in my budget after I build the motor, buy my suspension parts, differential and axles....oh and get the car tuned. If I have a lil bit left I'll get the c-clip eliminators or the 9" ends. It doesn't look like I'll have enough money to buy the nitrous kit this year anyway.

you don't need 9" ends, but I would suggest for the little they cost, have moser press them on when you buy them and install them the first time. It will save you a ton of work to take everything apart and install them later. Super easy to bolt them in place when everything is already apart. All you have to do is pulling the bearing and then use a hacksaw to cut a little off the end of the axle tube. A little silicone and viola you are done!

Then you'll never have to worry about slapping on a set of drag radials or slicks at the track in case you ever change your mind