C & L: thoughts and a question

mrswivlepants

Aug 13, 2003
Just wanted to get some opinions on C & L MAF meters. I was also curious about whether they use the stock sensor because none of the pictures of their pieces show a sensor included on the pipes.

• Sponsors (?)

This will be an interesting thread. There are a lot of people who swear C&L are crap, and cause nothing but problems. There are also a ton of people who use them with no problems at all.

A couple of general things I've noticed is they seem to work well on NA setups, but not as well on FI setups. Almost all of the problems I've seen on NA setups are due to running a CAI setup, or even worse, a cone filter right on the meter. The way the C&L's work, they need to have the air coming into the meter as smooth as possible, and not affected by things like fan wash and a artificial bend introduced with a CAI kit.

I've had a 73mm unit in my '92 GT for almost 10 years, and it's worked as advertised. I recently upgraded to 24lb injectors, and I simply picked up a $30 sample tube, swapped it out, and it still idles like the day I bought it, and I have no issues with running lean/rich.

As with anything...YMMV*.

(* - Your Mileage May Vary)

:)

I had a 76mm C&L that ran good, it was lean in spots but I was able to tun it out through my DFI. I got worse as I made more power and modifications.

I personally would prefer to see a Pro-M or even a Granatelli on a car, and those are the models I get for my customers also.

Right now I'm running a meter from Napa as a temporary fix for the failed unit. Not too sure swapping the sensor from that one to a C & L would be a good idea. If the problems that people have talked about have any validity, this might make them appear on my car.

I've been using a C&L for about 10 years and never had a bit of trouble. I've upgraded injectors twice and changed the calibration tubes and my car still idles like a dream. Can't really beat the price either compared to the others

Had a C & L 73mm and had nothing but problems with it, had to order a pro-m once that was installed the car ran great. Also talked to C & L and they dont stand behind there product, i bought from CJ pony they were great, they gave me a store credit. CJ PONY called C & L and got no where.

must b a stang said:
Had a C & L 73mm and had nothing but problems with it, had to order a pro-m once that was installed the car ran great. Also talked to C & L and they dont stand behind there product, i bought from CJ pony they were great, they gave me a store credit. CJ PONY called C & L and got no where.

When I was installing new injectors, I called C&L to inquire about if I would be better off getting a sample tube for my 73mm, or get the 76mm/powerpipe combo. I talked to a guy named Lee, and he spent a whole hour talking to me about what I had done to the car, what I had planned in the future, and giving me quite a bit of info. In the end, instead of trying to sell me the 76mm/powerpipe, he told me I'd be best off with a sample tube for the 73mm, and even offered to give me free shipping on one. I'm not sure what companies you have dealt with, but in my experience, you don't get that kind of service from most places. Isn't Pro-M out of business now? How many people are out there hangin now if they need to get their Pro-M recalibrated?

Just my .02...

Insane3D said:
When I was installing new injectors, I called C&L to inquire about if I would be better off getting a sample tube for my 73mm, or get the 76mm/powerpipe combo. I talked to a guy named Lee, and he spent a whole hour talking to me about what I had done to the car, what I had planned in the future, and giving me quite a bit of info. In the end, instead of trying to sell me the 76mm/powerpipe, he told me I'd be best off with a sample tube for the 73mm, and even offered to give me free shipping on one. I'm not sure what companies you have dealt with, but in my experience, you don't get that kind of service from most places. Isn't Pro-M out of business now? How many people are out there hangin now if they need to get their Pro-M recalibrated?

Just my .02...

Lee is the owner of C&L and he is a very nice guy, I've talked with him in the past.

Pro-M has reopened under a new name, and they are recalibrating meters only right now , but should be producing them shortly.

Rick 91GT said:
Lee is the owner of C&L and he is a very nice guy, I've talked with him in the past.

Pro-M has reopened under a new name, and they are recalibrating meters only right now , but should be producing them shortly.

I thought he might be the owner...he is a very cool guy. As for Pro-M, that's good news.

fo all u that are using the 76mm meters with there power pipe, what is the rest of your intake track on. i just got mine today and i was thinking about putting a huge filter on it like a buddy of mine has but insane3d just said that it wont work rite qith that setup

87mustang347 said:
fo all u that are using the 76mm meters with there power pipe, what is the rest of your intake track on. i just got mine today and i was thinking about putting a huge filter on it like a buddy of mine has but insane3d just said that it wont work rite qith that setup

NO that will not work C & L clearly states that. I tried by accident because my dad was helping me and I didnt want to put my stock box back on, and I had a kenne bell ram air kit with teh 9" conical air filter so I just stuck that on. The fan throws off the MAF reading and causes it not to idle. And C & L has proven that K & N filter with the air silencer removed on the stock box gets better numbers then a CAI.