C4 Valve Body Gasket 2 Questions

modifiedmustang

Mar 6, 2002
Texas
Should a 1967 C4 valve body have a gasket installed between separator plate and top half? Mine doesn't have one installed. All documentation I have relates to a 1970 & up and I know there are slight differences.

Where's a good place to order from (that will mess with a $.90 part) because the local part vendors are dumbfounded when I ask for one. They only want to hit you up for the cost of a comlete tranny rebuild kit.

• Sponsors (?)

Should a 1967 C4 valve body have a gasket installed between separator plate and top half? Mine doesn't have one installed. All documentation I have relates to a 1970 & up and I know there are slight differences.

Where's a good place to order from (that will mess with a $.90 part) because the local part vendors are dumbfounded when I ask for one. They only want to hit you up for the cost of a comlete tranny rebuild kit.

in my old '67 C4 i had no gasket between the upper and lower parts of the valve body.

on my new tranny, it has a stage 1 shift kit, and it has a gasket.

i would think that as long as the separator plate is not warped that it should seal and work properly. correct me if i'm wrong though.

in my old '67 C4 i had no gasket between the upper and lower parts of the valve body...

Either we had the same mechanic rebuild ours or Ford shipped some that way.

I was installing a Transgo Kit in mine, which requires the disassembly of the valve body to drill out one hole in the separator plate, but the kit did not include a gasket. I know it's not always the case that "kits" include everything you need, but I would like to assume it would have included a gasket should one have been required. But then again, that could have been wishful thinking.

Thanks for the reply.

SOME shift kits like B & M and Transgo do not have that gasket, I bought a shift kit for mine and it had no gasket And the instruction said not to put one in. So I emailed them and they said it is not needed for the kit I bought and tests they done show it shifts better without it.