CAI Necessary?

spartanpride

Feb 17, 2011
Right now all I have is the mods in my sig, However with stock airbox. Do you think a cold air intake is worth the money performance wise or do you think that ~$150 should go towards something else? Thanks for your input!

• Sponsors (?)

A cold air will help, as long as the filter is close to/in the fender. That way the air is actually colder than the air in the engine bay.

As for the $150, spend it on something else.

You can make your own cold-air for around $20-$25.

CAI's can yield a good gain :banana:
but
Having one does not always mean a gain will be found :scratch:

Like was talked about above :)

If it ain't on the outside of the e bay ............
It can't draw in fresh air :bang:

Now ... Fresh air don't always mean cool air :D

I live in Texas and in the summer time ... Well ... You Know :rlaugh:

Air temp has A LOT to do with the amount of gain don't ya know ;)

Another thing to think about is bends in the pipe

Bends offer restriction to the flow of air :notnice:

A lot of the cheepie CAI's you see have double bends :(

anyway ... just some stuff to think about :)

I'd put that $150 toward an intake that would move some air ;)

Grady

+1 on if you get one, just get a $40 ebay one.

I have one of the cheap ebay ones on my '02 GT that I bought a few years ago. The chrome plating started peeling off after about a year, but a friend of mine powdercoats and he powdercoated it in a silver color for $20. It came with a filter and all the silicone couplers, clamps and mounts. Well worth the $60. I would never pay $150 for one though.

Come on guys. The factory intake is a CAI. The only change you're going to make is a change in the airflow path. Stock configuration draws air from the fender well and is sealed from the engine bay. I would not expect to see any benefit from a modified tube on a otherwise stock engine. So to answer the question is it necessary "NO".

Come on guys. The factory intake is a CAI. The only change you're going to make is a change in the airflow path. Stock configuration draws air from the fender well and is sealed from the engine bay. I would not expect to see any benefit from a modified tube on a otherwise stock engine. So to answer the question is it necessary "NO".

True, but the stock intake has a lot of sharp bends and is corrugated. Plus the opening that is sticking into the fender for the "cold air" is rather small. The factory made the setup to help keep the noise of the rushing air quiet and to aid in filter changes (corrugated/flexible tube).

On a stock motor, not much is gained, but on a modified motor there are gains.

True, but the stock intake has a lot of sharp bends and is corrugated. Plus the opening that is sticking into the fender for the "cold air" is rather small. The factory made the setup to help keep the noise of the rushing air quiet and to aid in filter changes (corrugated/flexible tube).

On a stock motor, not much is gained, but on a modified motor there are gains.

Good Points For Sure

I got an engineer friend who works in the ac industry :)

He brought home some air flow meters, blowers, themo couples, and the like one weekend

We played around with some sections of 3" pvc pipe and the OEM air intake
system

The corrrugated pipe offered the most restriction ... BIG TIME :eek:

Bends also cut down on the flow :(

Based upon all the data we gathered from fooling around with all that stuff

I rigged up a home made CAI that was a straight shot from tb to filter which
was loacted outside the e bay

Again ... when it is cool outside like in the evening

You WILL get a gain no matter what you got under the hood :Word:

Why do you think your 1/4 mile times go down late at night after spending
a day at the track ;)

The air cools down and becomes more dense :banana:

Grady

Hey I really appreciate all of the input guys! Learn new things everyday ;) I'll probably just get a cheapo or go about making my own on one of my free days... And put the money towards my forced induction fund... :)