CAI & reflash questions

HISS GT

Founding Member
Aug 8, 2001
Norfolk, VA
I've read that you have to reflash if you get a CAI but not if you put a drop-in filter. Is this correct? Is the reason you have to reflash due to a new MAF? Could you use the stock MAF with a cone filter and different intake tubing instead of the stock air box and not need a reflash? Would you get any gain? The reason I ask is I already have the parts to do it now but no flash tuner.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the reply. But could you explain a little better the reasons why a drop-in filter would work and basiclly taking the stock air box off and using a cone wouldn't. And the CAI I have is speed density system (from my old '86 GT) that I was going to modify and try to save a buck or two. Can the tuner be used over and over again for different mods? This car is totally than what I'm used to so pardon my ignorance.

HISS GT said:
Thanks for the reply. But could you explain a little better the reasons why a drop-in filter would work and basiclly taking the stock air box off and using a cone wouldn't. And the CAI I have is speed density system (from my old '86 GT) that I was going to modify and try to save a buck or two. Can the tuner be used over and over again for different mods? This car is totally than what I'm used to so pardon my ignorance.

Chaing the air box changes a major amount of air flowing through it. While the drop in filter is less restrictive, it isnt anything major. With major changes, you need major changes to the computer, hence tuning. Diablosport and SCT both produce handheld tunes, with computer uplinks, that allow you to tune the engine. These include global timing, A/F ratios, and several other nifty options like the ability to turn off the o2 sensors. They are 100% resuable, and are made to work with any mod you do to the car. Each tuner "locks" itself to the last ECU it was used on, so they will only work on one car at a time. If you reflash the ECU to stock, it "releases" the tuner, and will work on any other vehicle type it was made for.